Did your child do this

mine came home from daycare today and he was sticking his tongue out so i thought it was funny and i stuck out mine then he tryed to put his in my mouth and he has never done that b4 and it worryed me should i ask his daycare about it or is this something that they do

britt2thabrat

Asked by britt2thabrat at 2:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did that once or twice when she was between 18-24 months. It was before she was in daycare, so she came up with it on her own.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would talk to the daycare anyways. Just so they know to keep an eye on the kids. Just incase.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 4:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• yeah i would wonder that myself. i would speak to the daycare provider.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Babies and toddlers tend to put every thing in their mouth and tongue. It is a way to explore and sense the things around them.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring it up to the daycare just in case
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My daughter tried this. I think its natural for the most part. They are just testing and trying to figure things out. But my daughter has never been to day care either.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i wouldnt be too worried about it, my daughter sticks tounge out but doesnt put it in my mouth she may try to put her fingers in mine but just tell him that isnt something that you do.
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My son tries that sometimes when he's in a goofy mood...I wouldn't worry about it just let him know that we don't do that
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 5:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• thank you ladys for the advice i feel so stupid and wasnt thinking about our small dog i caught her licking inside my son mouth with his mouth open and he was laughing im so sorry
    britt2thabrat

Comment by britt2thabrat (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't laugh, nor would I stick out my tongue. Laughing will reinforce this behavior, and he won't understand it if you start to discipline him for this behavior in the future. I would ignore sticking-out-the-tongue behavior at first. If that doesn't work, I'd explain to the child why we don't do this (it isn't nice. There are better ways to express your feelings. It hurts others feelings, etc.). Finally, I'd make it a rule. "We do not stick out our tongues in this house!"
    As for the touching tongue to tongue, it might have just been a child exploring with his senses. It also might be something that someone did to him. If it continues, speak to the day care or your pediatrician. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2011