Do you think Americans should know EVERYTHING?

In our country we are actually privy to a lot of information. Some intentionally released, other information not so much. In my opinion there are some inner workings of our government that average Americans should not know about. For instance, who the CIA is spying on. There is a level of security that I would expect and when the media releases information on planned drone strikes in Libya, it is a warning to the enemy. We lose the element of surprise.

And I'm not naive. I know that there are big bads in the government, but because increased security that the Patriot Act allows for, we have not had another successful large scale attack on US soil since 9/11. Fort Hood was an anomaly by any means. He was embedded in our military and this one would have been very hard for anyone to call.

HollyBoBolly

Asked by HollyBoBolly at 5:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If we knew everything then the same tragedies that you are referring could've been foreseen.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Not necessarily. At that point every idle threat might be interpreted by the American people as an imminent threat and a lot of time and money would be wasted. We would be at a hyper-vigilant state 24/7 and there would be no sense of normalcy. The government is there to decifer the information and decide what is relevant. And remember that not all people living in America are here for America. We have terrorists among us. This information would be at their hands as well, which would lead them to better networking and a way to be more secretive.
    HollyBoBolly

Comment by HollyBoBolly (original poster) at 5:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think that money and resources wouldn't matter if you think about how many lives could've been saved. Take Israel for instance this country lives in a state of constant terror, they have mandatory military enrollment for both boys and girls. Citizens are thought survival skills. I'm not sure but each home is supposed to be "equipped" with things necessary in case of an terrorist attack such as gas masks, etc. Still they go on with their lives.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think if our men and women a dying for big business to make money than I do want to know!!!

The Patriot Act IS NOT KEEP US SAFE it is taking away our freedoms!!!

We should be like Israel the government should be teaching us survival skills, so we can defend our own! And stop trying to take our weapons away from us!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• We need protection from the elected officials.,NOT from terrorist.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• We only need to know when the CIA or any other intelligence agency is doing somethng harmful to Americans. ( Such as their experiments on people ,using LSD and other hallucinatory drugs on American citiznes without their knowledge)
    Otherwise, any foreign intelligence that will help us defend our country should be kept secret from the enemy.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• nope
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• No, we don't. For one, average American's wouldn't understand everything. We wouldn't understand WHY the military is doing this or that. (I'm going with the military angle, just cause). For two, hellloooo, if it was put all out there, how the HELL could we EVER be ahead of the bad guy? Never. The military cannot protect if all their tactics, all their plans, all their business is spread out all over the media. Then, there is the media. Who is going to twist things to fit how they want it to look. Which will just cause mass hysteria. And, if we all know all military strategy, all military lives would be in harms way. And for what? Because some people think they need to know everything? My husbands life is worth more then their busy bodyness. And they need to just go live in fairytail land because you will never have full disclosure here.
    As for the rest of the government, LOL! No full disclosure there, either.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If you knew everything, you would never step foot outside of your house ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011