Respect = Equality

In a post yesterday I asked about "old values" that post is still open if you want to check it out....

Several people commented that having a door opened for them weakened what women had fought for in equal rights and commented that they were "strong enough" to open the door for themselves.

I too am a Strong, Independent woman. I can fix a toilet, lay tile, put up a ceiling fan, mow the yard (you get the picture)and I do all this around my home...So, I can certainly open my own door.

BUT my husband is a gentleman and he opens the door for me. When I am out with my sons even my 8 yr old will open the door for me and he will hold it open for the people behind us.

Wanting to be treated with respect does not lower my value as a woman, it only increases it.

Your thoughts???

sipn_mom

Asked by sipn_mom at 8:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Equality would also mean holding the door open for the men, as well.

What your referring to is Chivalry... How a gentleman treats a Lady. Thats not equality. Equality would involve the what the men are getting in return from the ladies as far as respectful gestures and treatment
    LizzeeT

Answer by LizzeeT at 8:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would love to be surprised that people (women) are actually offended by having a door opened for them, but sadly I can't be. I have seen this kind of nonsense for years. OP, I'm like you, I can fix plumbing, wire up home electronics, change a tire, hit dead center at the firing range (own a very ungirly .45 caliber semiauto), prefer talking cars/guns/stereos/guy topics most of the time, etc. and I do NOT mind when someone opens a door for me.

It does not, I repeat DOES NOT make you less or weaker to have a door opened for you. It just means the person (male or female) that opened the door has MANNERS! Did you not teach your sons to be polite and open doors for ladies??

I do find it funny that many of those whining about having a door opened for them are the same ones who will whine because no one opened the door for them when their hands were full!!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:38 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My daughters are taught equality. When we are out, whomever is closest to the door holds it open. I will admit I do have a difficult time doing it but my daughters hold it... well, my two year old helps the seven year old but why shouldn't my sons' and husband have the door opened for them. My family practices common courtesy with one another, always... boy or girl.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think I'm the one that might have answered that way, unless someone else thinks the same. My DH works OTR and I not only fix toilets, lay tile, etc. etc., I also have a mobile home I am renovating to rent out, take care of the farm, etc. I'm not as physically strong as I used to be, but that has nothing to do with it. The point is, we have to choose whether we want gender neutrality or we want to be treated as ladies should be treated. We can't have it both ways. And the problem is, there are those of us that CAN do these things, but would like to be treated as ladies, and those ladies that are insulted, because they think they should be just like a man. It's like men, they CAN change a diaper and get up in the middle of the night, but they would prefer to be a man and not have to. We are called the gentler sex for a reason.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2011