Moms of visual-spatial learners ... what is your child's school doing to accommodate your child's method of learning???

The recognition of the visual-spatial learning style is relatively new in our society (though it has been explored for over 2 decades) and it is definitely not as well understood as the more established auditory-sequential style, which is how our educational system is set up.

It is estimated that a substantial percentage of the school population would learn better using visual-spatial methods. Research suggests 1/3 of the school population as visual-spatial; an additional 30% showed a slight preference for the VSL learning style and only 23% were strongly auditory-sequential.

Most people don't give it a second though UNTIL they have a child who learns in this manner and does not fit the mold. This was the case with one of my children. Though well aware that he was a VSL individual, schools would do nothing to help him in this regard, rather insisting he was ADHD and in need of dangerous stimulant medication to make him more compliant. Boy, were they barking up the wrong tree and I let them know it! He is now in college and doing fantastic but I would love to see the day when different learning styles are presented in the classroom so that each and every child gets the education (and not the labeling and bullying) they rightfully deserve.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had never heard of that until now. My son has adhd and was in kindergarten last year and they really did absolutely nothing to help him until i pushed and pushed. Only toward the end of year did they get him some extra help.

momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 10:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My child attend a private Montessori where hands on is the norm. The child has an individual lesson on a tray, with physical materials to manipulate, and is first shown by the guide (teacher), other children who have mastered it can teach it, the child does the lesson - and when comfortable shows others. All math, reading, writing, geography, ect...all lessons have their own physical dimension to them. It is very different from the traditional way of learning. It works well for my child who lives with sensory processing disorder. My child may also live with ADHD but I am not worried about it. We will cross every bridge when we get to it and have the very best teachers, school, doctors, and specialists. We already do.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would love to see them accommodate children that learn in this way instead of just oral and visual methods. Our school does not do anything for children that learn any other way though.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 6:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My son is VSL. In school he has been in all AG classes, and a majority of kids classified as AG are VSLs and knowing that, the teachers have been very good at adapting their teaching style to fit that profile. He moves on to middle school next year, so we'll see how that goes, but I can see some definite problems coming!

Answer by missanc at 9:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I've never even heard of this. I wonder what my sons school's method is...
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Ive never heard of this! wonder what the schools here do.
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think the schools should accomodate all types of learning. They accomodate illegal aliens. . . . they should accomodate students with different learning needs.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I need to read more on this!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Here's some helpful info, though I don't agree with the individual who promotes meds as it relates to possible ADHD.  I first learned of VSL learners through a gifted program in our community.  Unfortunately, the public schools are sorely lacking in their ability and their willingness to accommodate those types of students.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Never heard of it either, but after reading this, I think I lean in that direction myself. In my experience with other different abilities, our schools can barely educate any kids, much less anyone a little different.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011