HOW DID YOU EXPLAIN TO YOUR KIDS WHAT DEAD/DEATH/DIED/KILLED MEANT?

I WAS JUST CURIOUS..IVE NOTICED IN MOVIES THAT THEY USUALLY ASK THAT QUESTION WHEN THEY HEAR IT ON TV OR SOMETHING,LIKE EXPLAINING WHAT HAPPEND TO THEIR PET BIRD OR FISH IF IT DIED..
HOW DID YOU EXPLAIN THOSE WORDS TO YOUR KID?

misty91

Asked by misty91 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Just for Fun

• my son lost his grandpa on my husbands side when he was 3 we told him he went to be with the angels. My grandfather who my son is super close to just died in sept my son is now 7 he was very upset and we had to explain it all over again cuz he doesnt really remember much from being 3. He told him people sometimes get old and sick and they die and when they do they go be with god and the angels and he will always be looking after you and we will see him again some day.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My daughter, who is three, plays with a family friends daughter who is in kindergarten and she has brought the whole "death, the monsters are going to kill you" thing. I'm not happy about it because my daughter is repeating it and saying things like "i'm going to kill _______" I asked her if she knew what that meant and she said no. So, I explained to her that it means they go to sleep and never wake up and that it wasn't a nice thing. I didn't know how to put it in simpliar terms and I didn't think it would be brought up this early in her life. She now knows that it's not okay to pretend that we are killing something, though. I will give it another go when she starts asking more questions about it...hopefully when she's a little older and can grasp more complex concepts.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My husbands cousins wife has just lost her baby not to long ago and recently my daughter who is 6 years old had mentioned about going to see Aunty and she cant wait to see her baby. i had to break it to her that she had lost the baby, which i did as simple and honest as i could. That her baby died and went to heaven.I'm not totally sure she understood what dieing means but it was the best i could do. It seemed to satisfy her tho.

Rachel311

Answer by Rachel311 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• That is a tough one!

I have had to explain that to my dd, too. I tried not to say things like got sick and passed away, or old, or went to sleep, etc. - for fear that would freak her out too much and that she would worry every time someone got sick, or that she wouldnt wake back up at night, etc. - get the idea? I just explained to her that sometimes they need more angels in heaven, and sometimes ppl go to heaven when they are needed. That seems to work for 3-4 yr olds, anyway.

When her goldfish died, I said that the fish had to go back to the ocean. (therefore the flushing down the toilet) I am sure things will be different when the dog dies - but hopefully many years from now! Hope this helps!! Happy Holidays
    FL_momof2

Answer by FL_momof2 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2008