Would you call the police?--EDITED

you are walking into a store and you see a child in a car alone(strapped into the car seat); car is running and isn't that hot out(mid to upper 70's) would you call the cops or what?

We told the store security and they called the police and the baby was taken from the mother but I was wondering what others would do.

I'm not saying running into a gas station this person was parked in a grocery store parking lot about half way out from the store

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would have called police too.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Probably not, but I would have kept an eye on the car to make sure mom came right back out. It sounds like since the cop showed it she was in there for awhile, and in that case, it was probably a good call.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes. I would call the police. There are too many infants and young children killed each year because they are left in a car. I'd rather embarrass a parent than have a dead kid. And, I think it's abuse. Parents need to be responsible for their kids. If the state deems the kid should be taken away, so be it.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• She had to have been in the store for quite some time, for you to have seen the child in the car, than went to security and they contacted the police, and than the police had to take time to arrive at the store?

Its sad when parents do this...there is nothing we need in the store that bad that we have to leave our children in the car unattended than also leave the motor running.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Since the mother was in the store yes I would call the police. She left the child in a dangerous situation.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Mother was inside the store! I hate when people leave their pets inside the car. Can you imagine leaving a child alone in a car? I don't want to say anything bad about the mother. She must feel awful.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think I would have done just what you did. I would get a security guard and let them deal with the police and CPS so that I'm not the one filing the complaint.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't have called the police, but just watched the car to make sure everything was ok. If the car was running, she probably had the air on, but honey, mid to upper 70s is not hot. We can sit in an air conditioned car here and everything is ok (I do it waiting for things all the time), and it is either close to or over 100 every day for the past couple of months. You don't know why that mother ran in the store. Maybe the baby needed something and could not be exposed to other people's germs. I'm not saying it's ok to leave your child in the car and shop, but sometimes there are emergencies. Maybe waiting for the mom and telling her you were concerned and letting her tell you why and if it wasn't a viable excuse, reporting her license plate number.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If she had locked the kid in the car with the car running, it's not really safe but she (or he! Men do these things too) may have thought it was. I'd probably have waited for her and told her I was worried someone would break in and take car and child together, but after a while, I might have told someone like security/store manager.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Soo... You'd have my children taken away from me, for leaving them safely in the climate controlled vehicle, locked in safe and sound while I take 90 seconds to pay for my gasoline? That is pretty fucked up.

I completely understand calling for a child (or animal) left in a vehicle which is not running, is not ventilated, are obviously in distress or are going to be soon... but simply because they are in the vehicle?

If I have to pay for my fuel with cash, I will absolutely leave my 4 & 6 year old in the car while I run in and do so. I know it must come as a shock, but for the 90 seconds I am away, and they remain in my sight, they are *not* in mortal danger. They're in more danger while they're playing outside on a hot day.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2011