Where do you draw the line???

What tv programs or movies are completely off limits to your kids and what are you kids' ages??

My DD is 5 months so I don't have to worry yet.. But I do have a 7 yr old step daughter that I think sometimes is allowed to watch inappropriate shows

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 8:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Be mindful of the ratings on the TV shows she's wanting to watch. Some shows are geared more for teens or tweens & talk about high school drama, dating, etc. Those would not be appropriate. (IMO) Also, not ALL cartoons are for kids. (ie: South Park, Family Guy, American Dad) My dau is 9 y/o & I am shocked & amazed at what some of her classmates are allowed to watch at this age. When she wants to watch something you dont think is appropriate, find an alternative. Either a different, family-oriented show, or just turn off the TV & pick out a game! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• my son is 7 almost and he so badly wants to watch starwars. We have made a compromise and he can watch the clone wars but not the movie yet, all of his friends watch it (not really maybe 5 of his friends have)
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I avoid all the tween and teen shows. If there is swearing or sexual comments it's a no go!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My kids are 2, 4 and 6.

I do not like violence, but have let them watch Star Wars (it is big among his friends, too). We have discussed the morality of it in detail and watched it with them. The 2 year old does not understand it at all, but the 2 elder understand a lot of it, especially the redemption of Anakin/Vader.

Personally, I will not allow disrespect on TV or stupid, stereotypical portrayals of anyone now. When the Disney channel switches from Mickey Mouse to the "tween" junk, it's off. I'd love to block that so they could never see it, even as teens when I'm out. I'm not as concerned about the swearing (though I don't like it) as the disrespect shown all adults and how "cool" kids are just superior to everyone on earth. That is deeper and more insidious than any language, and while I can discuss it with them, I find it gets to everyone, beyond reason.

We will have issues in future, and I'm not looking forward to it.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2011