How much cleaning is necessary when using hand me down/ antique dressers that has been used by us for years before using it for our new baby?

We currently have not one but two hand me down cribs and a wooden dresser from the 50's that me and my hubby has been using for our own clothes for years.

Dreamforbb

Asked by Dreamforbb at 1:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the dressers our fine to use i would just maybe wipe them down real well as for the crib it its from the 50's i would use it. there are safty standards for cribs and they have changed over the last few years. the bars are all different now.
    Anonymous

• Is anything painted? if it is painted then I'd say have it tested for lead. You many need to consider stripping any painted furniture and repainting.

Also, you should check the distance between the slats.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Thanks for asking about the cribs in particular. Actually, it's just the dresser that is from the 50's. The two cribs are from the 80's and and by all inspection, fits all current safety regulations. All three pieces are not painted but has a varnish/ polyurethane finish. We've also replaced the mattress so after a nice thorough cleaning we should be all ready to go!
    Dreamforbb

Answer by Dreamforbb at 10:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2008