Trying to concieve after taking the pill for over 3 years

How long does a womens body need to get back to normal after taking birth control? Can you get pregnant right away?

Me and my husband have been trying to concieve for 3 weeks and I have taken 2 tests and they both came up negative. I am getting stressed out cuz nothing is happening yet. Should I be worried? Or is it too early still?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I took the pill for 12 yrs and got pregnant on the first cycle after stopping the pill. BUT every couple is different, it is considered normal for any fertile couple, trying monthly, to take a year to conceive. BUT if you've only been trying for three weeks, it could still be early. I didn't get a BFP until one month after my last bleed on the pill.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• EBee is pretty lucky. Taking the pill is taking hormones that confuse the body into thinking differently. The pill does not prevent ovulation, it prevents the fertilized egg from attaching. Your body may be thinking that it needs to continue flushing the egg from your body for a while until nature takes it's course again. I sure wish they would tell women everything. Telling them about weight gain and you won't get pimples is just not enough information.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You've only been trying for 3 weeks...some healthy couples have to try for a year before they succeed. Be patient.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It really depends on the woman. Some women get pregnant right after stopping the pill, others can take months and months to get back to normal (I was one of those women- didn't ovulate for nine months after stopping the pill and ended up needing provera to have a period and clomid to ovulate.) You really won't know what the effect will be until you go through at least one normal cycle. And for the record, with three weeks of trying you may not even have ovulated yet and likely would not be far enough along again to test positive even if you were pregnant... most women won't get a positive test until at least 10 days after ovulation and some will take longer than that. And it takes the 'average' couple six months of trying to get pregnant- it's never a guarantee on the first month regardless of the pill! HTH, good luck with TTC!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't start to worry for at least a few months. I was on the pill for three years and was off it for three months before I got pregnant with my son. I would give it at least six months before you even start testing excessively.

Good luck!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2011