DS has been invited to his first slumber party! What should I ask?

Ds is 6 and has been invited to go to a slumber party, I have met the mother, but never the father,, and I mean just met her. He has spent the night with a friend from daycare, that I know the parents really well. I am nervous about letting him go. Would you? What questions should I ask,, don't you think it would be common sense that parents would be home with 6 year olds,,or should I ask if they will be having a sitter. Would it be rude to ask if they have guns in the home? Mean dogs,,,,,AAAACK! I don't want to be overprotective, but I almost don't want him to go,,,LOL!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 9:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• That is all it takes is one bully.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You can't never let your child do anything because they 'might' get bullied though. If you child *wants* to go despite knowing the child who has been mean to him in the past will be there then let him go! Maybe tell the mother to watch the interaction between them because there is some negative history (like I understand ___ is invited as well, (your son's name) and ____ have had some problems in the past... ____ picking on (your child) will you be able to keep an eye on that and make sure (your child) is okay and if need be understands he has the option to call home and I can get him) but don't keep him home!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would ask how many kids, how many adults, what are the plans for the evening-what sort of moves/games will they be enjoying, is it okay for you to stay for the first little while... I see no problem with you inquiring about pets, though I would not ask if they were mean. If they are I am sure the children will not have access to them. I would also ask about supervision during the night. DO the parents plan on going to bed at 10 and then leaving a bunch of 6 year olds to run the house or do they plan to stay up with them until the kids fall asleep... If they are having constant supervision I think a lot of safety concerns are taken care of right there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If nothing else you can always drop him off and pick him up late, you know 10 or so...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:46 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Give the mother your phone number. Tell her she can call you anytime if she needs to. Tell your son to tell her if he wants to go home. I bet he has a great time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My son went to a birthday party when he was 6 and he was bullied the whole time!!!! I would not let your son go!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• anon what happened,, I do know there are 6 boys invited,, one that has bulllied my son all year,, yikes I read But Mommies and fetl better, then yours and IDK!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Personally I would not let him stay the night, if he wants to go to the party, I would just pick him up around 9 or 10, it allows him to participate but not spend the night. I didn't let my children do sleepovers until 8 or older (depending on their maturity and such) and sometimes I feel that was too early. I would personally ask if it is co-ed, I recently found out that parents are now allowing co-ed sleepovers and not even mentionning it in the invitation, I personally am COMPLETELY against co-ed sleepovers at any age and I would be SO pissed if I didn't know there were going to be kids of the opposite sex there and my kids spent the night.
    sransom99

Answer by sransom99 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2011