Have you ever been on a job interview and the interviewer told you ... you are over qualified for the job?

what's up with that?

miamoma

Asked by miamoma at 9:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• My husband did... When he applied for a part time crew job at McDOnald's. They ended up hiring him but treating him like crap. Like trying to make him work outside of his availability and telling him he had to choose this job or his ful time job. HA!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes, they told me that, but in reality, they wouldn't hire me because I had children and were afraid I would take off if they were sick. They were right about that, my children would have come first, but I was a single mom at the time and didn't have a choice but to work.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes, I have heard that before. Usually it's a good sign that you don't want the job anyway...
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes, I desperately needed a job. I had a phone interview and the interviewer decided with my work experience I would be bored. I was not happy.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes and it really annoys me. I tried for 3 months just to get a minimum wage job to keep me busy before the baby cam because it wasnt about the money since my SO makes enough. They told me because of my education and past job experience that I was over qualified. Pathetic.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think they use that excuse if there is something about you the interviewer simply doesn't like. Many of us are over qualified for lots of the jobs we have to do because we have to WORK.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes. Employers use this excuse when they think you'll be unhappy with the job and won't stay long. My dad has worked in HR for years and he says he won't hire anyone who is overqualified for that very reason.
    MoversShakers

Answer by MoversShakers at 11:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes, all the time actually.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 12:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• MoversShakers is absolutely right. Those companies spend time and money training people. The last thing they want to do is get you up and running only to have you leave. It is a perfectly valid reason not to hire someone. If you are truely overqualified for a job you really want anyway then apply as their back-up, fill-in, seasonal help that they won't lose money training because they can call you in next Christmas or July/August vacation season. Go through a temp agency. Or lighten up your resume.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You need to learn to turn a negative into a positive!
    Explain to the interviewer why you are interested in THIS position at THIS company. Give them great reasons to hire you: no/less training, expanding the scope of the position, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 AM on Jun. 18, 2011