How much does money stress you out?

For me, it's a lot. I recently switched jobs - from a $12.50/hr part time job with really all-over-the-place hours, to a $10.76/hr full time job that was supposed to have guaranteed hours. I was looking forward to $600-$700 paychecks, finally being able to give my roommate everything I'm supposed to, and being able to afford the things I couldn't before (female necessities, decent food, maybe a haircut). I've only been at the new job just over a month, and things are not going as planned. The paycheck today for two weeks is as much as my first paycheck there which was only for one week. So things still suck. My roommate is understanding and can afford rent on his own - the money I was giving him before was just extra money in his pocket, while meanwhile, I would be next to broke. And that's the case again today. If I give him the full $250 I owe him, it leaves me with $80 - $40 of that would go to my monthly transit pass, and the rest would have to go to my dad's father's day gift... leaving me again with nothing. So I freaked this morning... crying and everything.
He doesn't get why money stresses me out because, as he put it, he's been there. Yeah, well he's not now. He works at a law firm AND has a part time job just to avoid getting bored. So he's not hurting for money. He can afford to take us both to movies and pay for dinner and get the things he needs for himself ("beauty" products, haircuts - the things I can never get). He, unintentionally, makes me feel guilty for not being able to pay for us to go to as many movies as he does... or buy as many dinners... he doesn't do it on purpose, but he does it nonetheless. So I hardly spend a dime on myself. I have a hard time buying tampons almost every month, because I know that's money out of my bank account. I tried to explain my stress to him this morning but it did not go over well. Now I'm more stressed than I was before.
I didn't even mention that when I'm broke, I can't afford things for my son... and I like to be able to bring him treats or take him to a movie when I get my visits.

Does money stress anyone else out as much as it does me?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• You have no idea...I STAY stressed out by money.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If you are broke, you don't need to spend money on a fathers day gift. Try doing something thoughtful instead.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• honestly money is the number one stresser in just about everyones life and for single moms its even worse.......i get the whole afford things for yourself thing.....try doing things that are free or extra cheap with your son he will enjoy just spending time with you....as for your roommate/boyfriend? (not sure what to call him) he's trying to be understanding so relax a little on that front...if the job isnt working out like you thought keep looking for another one...eventualy you will find one that works and is a good fit for you......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I received a lot of life insurance, my father's 401k and pension after he died and I still worry about money!! Our debt is paid off, we got new cars, we can pay for the things we need in cash, but I now freak if the account goes below $1,000. We were rubbing two pennies together at this time last year. So no matter how much money you have, you are still going to freak!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yeah money is the number one source of stress in my life. I literally feel like if I won the lottery I would have no problems lol. It would solve every issue and I would live in a walt disney movie.
    finallymommy

Answer by finallymommy at 9:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Lately, me too. I start freaking out when my bank account gets below $50... which is like a week after payday. I'm just worried of "emergencies" coming up and I like having that cushion just in case.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• yeah a lot, I just had a baby(#4) and dh was locked out of his job just after we found out we were pregnant (we wern't trying!!!) I have not worked and he still doesn't want me to. He's collecting ei benefits, get's strike pay for picketing and is working at another job part time but it's not close to what we're used to having with his old pay.
    When contracts came up this year they wern't really looking for much but the company (us steel) wanted to lessen pay, benefits and chagne pensions. It really sucks. I've offered to get a job after summer when the baby will be about 5-6 months old and dh still says he wants me at home with the kids, even though he will be home with them when I'd be at work. He recognizes how much I do and how it is better for them with me here. I may start watching some kids come september.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Money is a very stressful issue! I grew up with a single mom and there were times I had to go stay at friend's houses becase our electric had been cut off...there were lots of things I couldn't do and didn't have because of it. I turned out just fine though! If anything I'm thankful for that because now I'm really good at budgeting money. Just remember, this too shall pass. You can get thru anything you set your mind to. Be thankful you have a roommate who understands and is nice enough to take ya'll out sometimes. Keep looking for jobs and the perfect one will come up. You could always take your son to a nearby park...that's free and he'll love it! GL :)
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2011