Break a 3yr old from sippy cup?

My daughter is 3 and i cant get her off the sippy.. It was easy to break her from everything, the Binkie was easy and the bottle was. potty training was also quiet easy and going from crib to bed was easy.. I just cant get her off this stupid cup. she wont even try the "big girl" cup.. ne ideas.. tips..

Madilous08

Asked by Madilous08 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Throw away the sippy cups. When she gets thirsty enough she will drink from whatever you give her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yea we have tried that with everything else ie; binkie bottle. so ill try it
    Madilous08

Comment by Madilous08 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Throw the tops away. If there is no sippy part in the house she doesn't have much of a choice. Just tell her she is now a big girl and big girls don't use sippy's, and that when she goes to school she wont have a sippy. My son couldnt wait to get rid of the sippy cup, so this wasnt a big problem for me.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:08 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Make the sippy cup water only. If she wants milk or juice it needs to be in a big girl cup. Once she is drinking milk/juice from a cup you can get her a special sports bottle to keep water in all the time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Good idea.. just throw the tops away, like a slow break.. and the just water.. she loves chocolate milk.. we try and just get her juice like the HiC or the Capri sun so she doesnt drink her cup all the time.. but id like it gone..
    Madilous08

Comment by Madilous08 (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It's really, really, really simple. THROW THEM AWAY. If she is thirsty, she will drink. Simple as that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You could also try going to places like walmart or target that sale licensed cartoon plate sets for kids, comes with the fork, spoon, bowl, plate and cup. Get her her fav. character and slowly offer it to her, start with the plate and bowl and then let her see the cup. Thats what I did with my son (hia was spongebob).
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 10:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Take the cup away .. when she is thirsty enough she will drink from a normal cup.
    MadreMas

Answer by MadreMas at 11:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• my girl was 2 when she got off the sippy cup. I just got a tooth of gralic and rub it on top of cup everytime she wanted it . she would she that her cup had a guly smell about 3 days later she did't want it anymore
    saraho02

Answer by saraho02 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You could just wait. It isn't really necessary to break her from the sippy cup yet. If she continues to use the sippy cup, she won't be spilling her beverage on the table, the couch, the floor, or the car. My granddaughter is four, and I still give her a sippy cup. It was hard to break her of the pacifier. She just seems to need that bit of security with the sippy cup. She is potty-trained, and speaks fairly clearly. She's a sweet kid, and gets along well with others most of the time. I figure that if she is still demanding a sippy cup when I send her off to school, then it might be time to worry about breaking this habit.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011