Boyfriends Chi and newborn son?

My bf has a chihuahua that for some unknown reason is reluctant to housebreaking. I have tried taking him out regularly, reading up on it, diapers everything. When we first moved in together, we stayed in a different bedroom and I must say the carpet in that room now is more yellow than white (his urine is very dark) and the room really smells (he dabs it up instead of using cleaner like I do). So we moved to another room in the house that is bigger and has less marks in the carpet from the chi's little accidents, but now my bf is trying to find anyway and reason to let the dog still come in our bedroom, by putting our newborns diapers on the dog and using duct tape and everything else to make it fit. We have a little gate at our door, he is free to roam the entire house just not in our room. When my son begins crawling he'll have nowhere to go because the carpet throughout the house is ruined. We're supposed to be moving but if he plans on doing the same thing with the dog, it won't make a difference, I'm pretty sure the dog peeing in the carpet is unsanitary and unplesant for company as well. I'm the only one who bathes him, feeds him, pretty much care for him all together, so hes more my dog than his (he even says this), but I wish there was a way to get it through to my bf (nicely) that I love the dog but I love my kids more, let him roam the house but keep him out of our bedroom. Has anyone had issues with there pets and a urination problem. He's almost 3 years old, Idk what else to do. He's peed on all the floors, furniture (couches, beds, bathroom rugs-everything).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pets

• Has he been checked by a vet? Maybe a UTI? Have you tried crate training?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:15 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You need to have the carpets cleaned. Rent a rug doctor or have them professionally cleaned. Can you put the dog in a fence when you arent able to watch it? He should also be in a crate at night. I would put the gate on the kitchen door so the dog is stuck somewhere with tile so it is easier to clean. It is very unsanitary to have urine in the carpet!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I've had the carpets cleaned and he just lets him back out and we're back at square one, carpet with pee in it. Yes I've tried crate training as well, recommended by a guy a petsmart when I took him, I've mentioned taking him to the vet, but my bf doesn't want to fork out the cash.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If a dog does not housebreak, I do not leave them live in my house. Although I do believe in dogs in the house, I have a Great Dane who lives in my little house, she'd better use the bathroom outside. The dog is not going to be housetrained at this point unless you get all of that smell up, which is difficult, because it goes through the padding and into the subflooring. A dog goes where it does because of the smell. And will continue to go in that spot. Try putting some paper down and when the dog pees or poops on it, pick the paper up and put it outside. Then put the dog out there to smell it. Meantime you are going to have to get that cleaned. It's isn't sanitary and I'm no clean freak.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I'm with attap5- if a dog is not housebroken, it does not stay in my house. I can't stand that kind of mess. Yuck. This may not be a popular opinion, but if I were you, I'd find a home for the little guy with someone who will devote more time to his 'issue'.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• How are you crate training? It doesn't sound like you are giving it a fair chance or are not clear on the procedure. I've work in pet stores and with vets and have never met a dog that crate training didn't work with if it was clearly a lack of potty training. If it is submissive urination when you come home or something spooks him (Chiuahas are easily spooked) That's different. And oh, BTW, if you are going to bring a child into that house, it is not just his money. You have the right to take him to the vet, too.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011