Trying to decide if I should watch kids in my home.

I used to watch 2 girls and baby and kindergartner. I also watched a few other school aged kids for a while. I didn't like it after a while. It really cut into my family time with my kids and me being able to get my kids to their afterschool activities. When I had my baby I decided to not watch kids on a regular basis anymore. The girls I watched have someone else watching them and I told them if they need me for occasional times that's fine but not full time anymore. I also do back up care for my friends home daycare and another friend of mine.
I was approached by a neighbour the other day asking me if I would watch their girls come september. It would be every morning from 8:30 to 9, I'd be dropping them at the bus stop around the corner. And the one girl would be every other monday and every wednesday. Their dad get's home at 3 in the afternoon so it wouldn't cut into my evenings with family and activities. I think this would be a much better fit for me and my family, plus we could use the money.
What do you think? I'm pretty sure we're going to do this but would love to hear other's opinions. What should I charge? I would be providing lunch and snacks. $30 a day? I would give them receipts too.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• sounds good to me...$30 per day. I would charge a little for the mornings too.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• yes that is a good deal
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thats sounds fine to me. I do chidcare out of my house too. Its pretty fun, i enjoy it.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I used to work in a daycare and enjoyed that. But when doing it in my home I didn't like it interferring with my family. Kinda felt like an invasion. Is it different watching school aged kids as opposed to babies and toddlers?
    My kids are 7, 5, 3 and 3 months.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Sounds good.
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 11:05 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• wait $30/ a day for a half hour?? WOW
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• no no, $30 for when I have her for the whole day everyother monday and every wednesday. I don't think I'd really charge them for the mornings, especially if my kids bus stop get's moved to the same spot.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Daycare's in my area charge an average of $45 a day. When I have kids in my care I do things with them too. Carfts, cooking and games and such. I don't just sit there and let them play all day. There needs to be some activities to break up the day.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Don't forget about CPR and insurance; the last thing that you want is a lawsuit

Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• What would you charge for the mornings?
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2011