When it comes to breastfeeding, what should you not eat or drink?

kb81888

Asked by kb81888 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The only thing I didn't drink was anything with caffeine, and no alcohol. I ate what I wanted, and all 3 of our boys were fine. They are all healthy, happy boys at 7, 8 and 14 yrs old...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Caffeine should be avoided, especially early in breastfeeding (the half life of caffeine in a newborn is 70 hours, whereas in a 6 month old, it's 6 hours, so it can cause major sleep problems in a newborn). Alcohol should be avoided in general, but one drink per hour CAN be metabolized, so if you want to have a drink, you're actually best off if you have it while nursing. Alcohol takes 20 minutes to get into your breastmilk, so it won't get there in time for that feeding, and will have cleared by your next feeding. Other than that, unless a food bothers your baby (like my son had tummy troubles if I had dairy, but that's one case only), you can have anything you like. Some babies are bothered by things like broccoli, cabbage, onions, garlic, and spicy food, but it's all very individual. No need to limit these foods unless your baby has tummy trouble or other reactions.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I ate as I usually would and did not avoid anything, food wise. Alcohol should be avoided, but you can have one drink once in awhile and nurse as you normally would. Anything over two, you need to wait long enough for the alcohol to metabolize out of your system. Pumping and dumping does not work. I have breastfed three to just past one year and never had a problem!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:11 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• evoid lots of salt or spicy food , better seafood and nuts and vegetable as well , honey , .... milk, water and juice avoid coffee and tea ....
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 11:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• okay. i figured. yeah, my sister told me if she wanted a glass of wine she would actually have it while she was breastfeeding because of the timing. im nervous to drink anyways. i'll be the biggest light weight! haha
    kb81888

Comment by kb81888 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• There aren't any foods you necessarily need to avoid unless there are specific issues like milk protein allergies. You may notice that certain substances make your baby fussy or gassy, but it might vary from child to child (for instance, my first two babies were not affected if I drank caffeine in moderation, but my third would be up all night if I had a Pepsi with dinner, so I stopped that in a hurry!) My lactation consultant always told me a drink occasionally was fine, but not to drink to the point of feeling drunk. I'm not a huge drinker anyhow so cutting that out really didn't bother me. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011