What can i do if my 1 yr old is a cry baby? Anything i can do to stop him from being one?

mrspeacock80

Asked by mrspeacock80 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just for the sake of having more details ... why is he a "cry baby"? I mean, for one, what's wrong with him crying and two, he's only a year old...it's somewhat expected.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I know exactly what you mean.  My son has legitimate I'm hurt or scared or tired or hungry cries.  But he also has a I don't like this, or give me that, whiny cry that I consider to be cry babyish.  I try to be firm with him when he's like that and not give into him.  He's started it recently so I can't tell if my little plan is working or not.

I've have family members who don't see that their children are manipulating them until they're 3 or 4.  By then the child has years of practice and it's a hard habit to break.  I'm trying really hard to teach him now that he can't cry and whine to get his own way.  good luck to of us!!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• One years old is still a BABY!!!! Crying is normal and expected! At one years old your child can't communicate with you, crying is the ONLY WAY! Can you imagine how hard it would be to not be able to tell your caregivers what is wrong? YOU are the one with the issue and need to really evaluate your parenting skills. If you can't handle caring for a baby you should get help. And don't have any more children until you can handle it!
    Anonymous

• WOW!! I happen to be an excellent mother. I'm not sure how you feel able to evaluate my parenting skills based on two paragraphs I wrote on the Internet.
    When I take something away from my son and he starts crying I know why he's doing it. Even at one he will cry just because he's not getting his way.  When my son is crying and I don't know why I comfort him and find out why.  When he cries in the middle of the night I check on him and pick him and shower him with love.  When I don't let him stick something in the electrical socket and he starts crying it's not because he needs something it's because he's not getting what he wants.  I don't ignore him or walk away, but I also don't give him what he wants or distract him by reinforcing the crying.  Crying is one of many ways my son communicates to me.  I don't wantit to be the only way he communicates. 

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• As far as advising me to get help, do you really think it appropriate to respond that harshly? You have never met or observed me with my child.
    I guess it necessary to answer anonymously when you think your answer is offensive. I should tell you  I am not offended though since you have no valid reason to form that opinion. 
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• In my oppinion, a one year old is still pretty small and may be teething... Some children are more sensitive than others. He may not be able to communicate through speech and is frustrated with trying to get his needs met. When you get frustrated from the crying, stop and take a minute to breathe and compose yourself (I have to do this too). Then try and figure out what they are upset about. Hungry? Thirsty? Wet Diaper? Teething? Go back to the basics (process of elimination) Good Luck. He will be talking more soon and be able to tell you why he is upset!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 9:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• He's a baby. Never call him a crybaby, it's a mean word.
    He can't possibly communicate very well yet!

I hope I haven't offended you.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• No, I can see your point. Cry baby is a harsh term :)
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I'm just curious to see if anonymous was going to answer :) I really puzzled as to why anyone would respond like that...
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2008