Sinning.....is gluttony and weight gain/being fat defiling the body God gave to you?

People talk about being alcoholics, doing drugs and just generally putting crappy food in your body.....
But is being fat a sin? By putting weight on your stressing your organs, joints and overall well being.
So it would be a sin right? To be heavy and not treat the body God gave you with respect.... Nobody ever talks about it being a sin....not taking care of your physical body.
Would you agree? Disagree?
This is primarily for people that believe in God...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• sure. and yes, everyone talks about it! being physically fit is a gift for a lot of people (it just comes natural for some, dang them!)..and one a lot of them don't appreciate.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I guess some people would look at it as being a sin.. I do not.
    Some people are overweight as a result of medical problems or for reasons out of their control.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I do not think being 'fat' is a sin. I do think that being gluttonous is a sin. You can be fat with out being a glutton. A glutton eats for the pure pleasure, constant indulging (as apposed to making poor choices or not getting enough exercise) and is usually wrapped up with greed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• SuperrMommyy......could some of those medical conditions be a result of weight?

dullscissors....sure it comes "easy" to some people...but the make the choice to do it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• OP- Possibly, yes. But some people become overweight due to a medical condition--results of the medicine. Example--cancer treatments.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i agree
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• No. Overeating is not the only reason people have extra pounds.

H.Unger

Answer by H.Unger at 11:22 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't think so. There are people that give their children immunizations, which have very dangerous ingredients in them, as well as people taking chemical medications that do things to your body. Although not a choice my family makes, I don't think that it's a sin either. Most people (I say most because there are some out there, you know the ones), do what they think is best to take care of their bodies. Maybe not everyday, we all have those moments of having to finish the can of Pringles! It's one thing to just sit and eat and eat junk all the time. We aren't all set up to be lithe and beautiful. We are all different because we are supposed to be different. How on earth could genetics and/or illness making someone overweight be a sin? Besides, where in the Bible does it say we are all supposed to be what the government/AMA THINKS is the right weight?
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I don't know if it is a sin but it sure is unfair to young children to grow up in a home where mom and dad make poor choices when it comes to food and won't exercise. At this point we know what causes most obesity consuming too many calories and not exercising. Sure there are some who have medical issues but they make up a smaller percentage. My sons classroom had several kids in it who probably weighed more than me and they were only 8 and 9 years old. One boy was so overweight he couldn't play on the playground he was too winded. I ate lunch with his class and the boy ate three sandwiches filled with bacon and mayo. He had almost an entire bag of family sized chips and 6 Capri suns and a whole sleve of cookies. He is fat because he eats too much and his obese parents have taught him improper eating habits. He has diabetes his mom was telling me it isn't juvenile onset though. He has type 2 at 8 years old. Pathetic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• sleeve*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2011