Aside from the tainted formula issue a while back-how many babies have died from not being breast fed...

Seriously. I am an avid breast feeding mother. I feel breast is best and would Love it if more mothers would at least give it a try. The public view of breast feeding as being 'gross' bothers the crap out of me BUT why do some people feel formula is the devil? I mean how many babies of actually been harmed from formula. Yes there was an indecent of tainted formula a while back but that has been resolved and was resolved quickly. Lets face it many fresh veggies and other good foods have periodically been recalled as well...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree with you. I'm a big advocate for breastfeeding, too, but formula is not poison. Do I think it could be better quality? Absolutely, but you're right, it is not the devil.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think it would be far more harmful for babies if formula were not available to them. Not every mother is able to breast feed. Formula is safe, its regulated, and it is nutritious. Yes, breast is best, but its wonderful that there is an alternative when it is necessary.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I agree! I would be more concerned if the formula effected was not taken care of immediately or the public wasn't notified about it. I think jmpj8107 stated it perfectly.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• The thing is, FF babies are more likely to die...2x more likely to die of SIDS, more likely to die of infections or diarrhea, more likely to get cancer (this is true even in adulthood; A FF woman has a higher risk of breast cancer)...

Formula is not poison. It does not directly kill babies, when it is prepared/stored/used properly. But it does lead to more infant death because it doesn't provide the exact same nutrition that human babies were intended to receive, so the babies are vulnerable, more likely to get sick or die. The vast majority do not, but some do, and it can never be attributed to *just* formula, but the formula doesn't provide as much potential protection as breastmilk does.

This is why is it estimated between 900-1000 babies die each year in the US to formula feeding...the increase in these kinds of deaths in FF babies vs. BF. Not because the actual formula is poisoning them.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• That said, I absolutely support a woman's right to choose to FF for any reason she desires. These are truths. What you do with them is your business. If you are okay with these risks, because after all we take risks every day and your baby is more likely to die in the car than from formula and the overwhelming majority of us use cars frequently, then by all means FF. But that doesn't mean every woman doesn't have the right to know, so every woman can make her own informed decision.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• NONE - how many babies have died of starvation because the mother's milk wasn't enough?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Very well said, scout mom!!!!! What about moms that drink alcohol, use drugs, etc while breast feeding. But breast is best, right? Not in all situations. It is a PERSONAL choice and one that others should make FF moms feel bad about.

It's funny that I know more kids with severe food allergies and that have more illness that are breast fed than formula fed. As long as a child is being fed, it doesn't matter what it is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Scout mom is right. I tried breastfeeding and could not get him to latch correctly. At first I tried to supplement but in the end he was better off FF. He is now a healthy happy kid and he is not overweight nor does he get sick very often.
    chelley123

Answer by chelley123 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• maybe if you did some reading you'd 'get it'.
    Anonymous

• I hate hate hate the phrase "breast is best" what is best for your baby is to feed it. I starved my baby for 2 days because breastfeeding didn't work and no one would tell me what was really best for her was not to starve. I despise the kind of guilt and depression caused by the phrase "breast is best" and cringe every time someone says that. The correct phrase is "food is best"
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2011