What is something fun to cook with toddlers?

I'd like to get my kids more involved in the cooking because we are big on food in our family. I want them to learn things early on. But I'd like to be safe with them. So far they can 'make' a salad and butter things. What is something they can make that doesnt involve the oven or anything sharp...Do you let your kids help? What do yall make?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 11:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Easy Mints - 1 box confectioners sugar, 5 Tbls softened butter, 2 Tbls water, 1 tsp mint flavoring, food coloring is optional. Mix together, form small balls or snakes, cut and let dry.

Answer by missanc at 5:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• english muffin pizzas, individual pot pies (1n custard dishes let the kids pick and add their own veggies), jello with fruit added (let the kids pick and add the fruit of choice to their cup) anything that needs stirred. anything that needs stuff dropped into the pot (before it is hot) such as adding the potatoes to the water before boiling) any time they can help you hold the mixer or press the button on the blender... The options are endless!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I was going to suggest muffins but it sounds like you are wanting no-cook recipes? I would encourage you not to miss out on baking! They can help to measure (or you can pre-measure), combine, and mix all the dry ingredients & also add the liquid ones. They even can break the eggs in a low-stress (for you) way if you always have them break into a bowl, THEN add the eggs to the mixture (you can isolate the eggs & pick out any stray shells as needed, this way.) They can mix the batter, then spoon it into the muffin papers (or they can grease the muffin tins.) Little kids seem to like greasing pans, in general! If you put the oven light on, they can watch the baking progress without messing with the oven. Or show them the timer counting down.
    For no-cooking, try a "No Knife Spaghetti" sauce, now that we are getting into the fresh produce season. No cutting, no cooking (except for the pasta) and you can eyeball most measurements.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Well we've been doing that but they are always trying to 'check' the food on the stove. So it becomes a hassle rather than being fun. We've made crockpot dinners with them before but I'd like to have something we put together, throw in the fridge and then pull it out lol Something that won't drive me nuts or give me gray hairs!
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would try the little pizzas, pot pies and the jello's... those are all pretty basic put it together then wait types of things. No really 'fuss' to be made.. KWIM? They are quick to put together.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I used to make mints with mine. The dough is the consistency of playdough and they could make all kinds of fun shapes with it before rolling it into a "snake" and using a plastic knife to cut it into little pieces. In hours it would harden to a chalky consistency. They were called Easy Mints, you might could google it, I will try to find the recipe.

Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My kids always loved to bake cookies and make homeade pizzas.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2011