Did You Know?

Did you know that NO STUDIES have been done which prove the safety of ultrasounds, and the American Medical Association recommends AGAINST unnecessary exposure.

"Unnecessary Exposure" includes the use of ultrasound to:

1. Confirm the sex of the baby.

2. Assess gestational age (how many weeks old the baby is).

3. Assess fetal size and growth.

4. Confirm multiple pregnancy.

5. Determine fetal presentation (the position of the baby in the womb).

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/pultra.html

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 11:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• And that's why you get 2 maybe 3 during your entire pregnancy...
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I never knew ultra sounds were done for any of these reasons directly, I thought it was all health related, these things are found out while conducted ultrasounds as a perk. but thanks for sharing momma
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:46 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• yes, I have always known this.. and there are many times that they are done just because to ease parents fears or tell boy/girl, even though the dr. will "say" it is for something else.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 11:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i do know , my Doc told me that she a nice doc ...but we need that to know sex and health of the bb ..
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 12:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes. Doctors are not supposed to do them to "ease parents fears" either. They are supposed to discourage the use of ultrasound for these reasons. There are things like palpation, measuring fundal height, and figuring out "due dates" based on LMP or date of suspected conception. There's really no reason to do dating ultrasounds, measuring ultrasounds, or anything like that, unless there is a medical indication in the mother (pre-eclampsia, diabetes, vaginal bleeding, use of amniocentesis to guide the needle, etc).
    rachelrothchild

Answer by rachelrothchild at 12:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011