Is it strange that my kittens pee does NOT stink?

My 8 week old kitten peed in my bed (thank goodness for waterproof mattress pad!) and strangely enough it didn't smell. I know how horrible cat pee can smell so I just found it strange. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pets

• Yep.

Have you ever noticed that baby pee doesn't smell? It's because it is so diluted from being on a liquid diet. Baby pee isn't even yellow, and that goes for all mammalian species. It's perfectly clear and has very little or no odor because it's diluted so much.

I think it's great lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• from my experience, cat pee only smells bad when they are marking their terriotry. Not when they have an accident.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 12:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• and your kitten is way too young to be marking its territory :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 12:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Wait until he/she hits kitty puberty. You'll notice then, believe me. A females urine isnt as strong as a males, but it will still smell. Having them spayed or neutered will lessen the odor, but you should have your pet fixed just for their heath alone. Tr to have this done by 4 mo's of age or 4 lbs--whichever comes sooner. Most vets like the kitten to weigh at least 4 lbs before a spay or neuter.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011