WHY PICK APART THE BIBLE ?

If you don't believe in the Bible , why do you feel the need to pick it apart & slander it ?

wvblj

Asked by wvblj at 12:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I "pick it apart" in that I study it, dig deeply, do word studies and such. I also accept it at face value meaning I believe it means what it says and says what it means. There will always be those "why" questions (such as the wrath of God in the OT) that we will never have an answer for on this side of life, but that's ok. I don't need to know every single thing there is to know about every single thing. I'll have the pleasure of talking with Moses, Abraham, Jonah, and all those old chaps when I get there.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Why shove Christianity at those of us that do not believe.???
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 12:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Generally speaking because those most vocal about how "wrong' we are for what we believe are Christians and they tend to use the Bible as their justification for why we are evil, hence picking it apart to show why we don't believe in it. Basic common sense if one group is telling you XYZ and you don't believe them, you're not going to use the book from another group as the basis of your argument, you'll use the book of the group making the claims and refute it, or point out it's errors. If this makes you uncomfortable perhaps it is because you never questioned and were blindly following whatever you were instructed to.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Picking apart the bible is the first step to freeing yourself from religious enslavement.  Those who have done it are much happier.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Why do people insist asking questions = being nasty (or bashing, or being rude, or picking on people)? Why aren't YOU picking apart the bible if you're the one who believes in it? Why are you so defensive about other people doing what you should be doing?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I also believe you're a little confused about the word 'Slander', what it means and how it is used.

Pointing out the great atrocities, the misogynistic, sadistic, infanticidal, homophobic, racist, pro slavery, pro control, pro violence against women, undeniable scripture- IN CONTEXT, isn't slander hon. It is an accurate depiction of what most christians choose to ignore and cherry pick around.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I don't believe "in" the Bible, or believe about it the same things many other Christians do, but I'm constantly digging into it as much as I can, because that is how you understand it - by looking into the original contexts, the history, the language, the other things we can understand about the time it was written, we can come closer to understanding what it means, instead of just projecting our own views into what we claim it says.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Some people can't live by blind faith, they weren't brought up that way. Or were and had a bad experience. For me personally if someone starts talking about God or the Bible in a way that brings me negative feelings I tune them out or walk away. Just because I believe one way doesn't mean everyone will. And I make it a personal choice not to talk about religion to certain ppl because it always ends up being a negative experience
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I pick it apart. I like to understand it and it gives me greater clarity on my own faith. I try not to slander it, but some things about it really piss me off. Mostly how people in the Bible are so mistreated, and God is A-OK with all of it. So expressing those feelings can come across to someone who takes it as the word of God as being hateful about it. I really don't hate the Bible, but I do hate some of the messages it sends and disagree very strongly with some of the lessons it attempts to give. I also love some of the messages and lessons and take them to heart. I love Jesus and his teachings, I take lessons from his actions.

I just don't understand how anyone can be okay with people being enslaved, tortured, punished unnecessarily for something their superiors did, etc etc, much less God, who seems to condone and approve of this behavior throughout biblical text.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Why pick it apart? Well, one answer (a "nice" one for you) would be to learn more.

What are you considering "slander"?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2011