Help! My 3 year oldis regressing with her BM.

my 3 year old is really good with going pee in the potty but just recently she won't go poop. She was really good with that too. every now and then she would have an accident. we wouldn't get mad but would say accidents happen. next time let me know when you need to go so this doesn't happen. now she's going in her underwear and then not telling me she had an accident, and when we find out she did she gets really upset and scared and doesn't want us to touch her. I don't know if maybe something happened that she's scared now but now she won't go potty. she's in underwear now cause if she wears pull ups she won't go potty at all. We just moved recently so I know that is a factor in this regression. I just don't know how to get her pack on track. I'm trying a potty chart with one kind of sticker for pee and then a special sticker for poop. not really helping though. what should I do to help her with pooping in the potty again.

eyelove2dance

Asked by eyelove2dance at 12:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Did someone else say something to her that you don't know about? Does she go to daycare, a sitter or family member watch her? If she is hiding it and acting scared, then someone said something bad to her.

I would just keep her in her panties and just be reassuring that it is okay if she has an accident, that it isn't the end of the world.

I really hate parents that punish or yell at their kids for that stuff. There is no reason for it and it only makes things worse.
    Sithpadawans

Answer by Sithpadawans at 2:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It is important to find the reason for this sudden change in her behavior. Moving can be a cause, although generally a preschooler suffering moving-anxiety will exhibit more infantile behaviors. Besides messing in their pants, they may also start thumbsucking, or talking baby-talk. Sexual abuse can be a cause when the child has poop issues but not pee issues. Or, she might be suffering from painful bowel movements, or some other physical cause. The BM might be slipping out when she thinks it's a toot. Try talking with her. Remain calm and non-judgmental. Learn the warning signs of sexual abuse, and if you suspect this, get professional help for her immediately. If her BM is just painful, too hard, or too runny, then a high-fiber diet will help. Make sure she gets whole-grain foods, eats her fruits and vegetables unpeeled whenever possible, and limit dairy products, which constipates. And see her doctor for more help
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2011