Just hit 270 lbs today :(

I know what everyone will say "diet, exercise, self control"

I have an eating disorder BED. Binge eating disorder
I don't know how to get a hold on this demon I have. I went through some pretty traumatic stuff over the past 2 years and it made me change. :( No matter what I say or do or how I start out my day I can't seem to stop.

Quitting drinking or smoking you can throw it out, You don't have to live off of it to survive. I was always thin, a size 7 but now I ballooned up to a size 24 since I had my son 6 years ago. Even last year I was about 45 lbs less than I am now.

Please help me. This is a genuine cry for help. I am seeing a counselor but it doesn't seem to be helping me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Your counselor may not be right for you since you feel that he or she isn't helping. Would you consider seeing a different counselor?

Do you have PTSD and depression? That could explain your weight gain due to your traumatic past.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• How about trying some martial arts this will provide some discipline in connection with your therapist this will help. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Check with your doctor.
    You should also have your thyroid checked.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Just know you're not alone. There are ways to help, but in order for them to work your mind needs to be strong enough to carry through. Maybe look into seeing a therapist. I hope you find your way. I've been there, and go back once in a while, it's a rough road, remember you're not alone.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• get yourself into rehab. this eating disorder is just as, if not more, dangerous as anorexia. instead of starving yourself to death you are eating yourself to death. find a rehab for eating disorders and admit yourself. you need this like any other addict needs it to save your life
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I completley understand :) Mostly because I've been there. I know how it feels to start eating a few cookies and end up eating the whole box and then some. You said it right, it's a demon. So treat it as such. Everytime you hear that voice say "today is the last day, just eat a bit more" say NO. You know that it's lying to you. Have your husband been accountablity with you and check in with you. Find out which foods trigger you and get RID of them for now. I promise you can heal, I did :) Don't at all worry about weight loss right now. Worry about healing and getting better and the weight loss will come. Message me for support, because this road is a tough one that is hard to be understood. You have to take control back from that "demon" as you call it :) You can do it...I did...I promise it can be done!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• OH! And something else that helped me...BED is a disorder that deals with control. I was OBSESSED with food. So I wrote out my meals/snacks for the next day and stuck with it. You will NOT have to do that forever. This is just something that helped me in the beginning...normal eating is just that normal eating. You WILL get there :) "Finish each day and be done with it, some absurdited and blunders have crept in but do not let it ruin your outlook." -Emerson
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I know all about eating disorders, but it's also used as an excuse. So when you go grocery shopping, watch what you buy. Get whole fruits and vegies instead of chips and ice cream, buy lean cuts of meat. No counselor can make you get rid of your eating disorder, you have to want to fight it. Not easy, but it is possible. Best of luck hun, I know you can do it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I battled anorexia for a long time, and it's tough. Then i went the opposite route. The mind set is sooo hard to get away from. Recovering physically is easy, but emotionally?? That is tough and takes work every day!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• you are not alone in this , for me it's always been stress also , --- you will change this all when you do , and will stay in this till you can change this , dont beat yourself up about this it only makes it worse , when i am this bad , i TRY to eat low carb--
    as you know this is a very intense disorder - cheese , bologna , salads , omelets , unshelled sunflower seeds , etrc.. , and stuff myself on these instead of sugar and flour items , if you were a alcoholic you would be drunk 24- 7 when in this dis-ease you are in now , right , right .
    With me the level of stress im in at the time determines how off track i am with what i swallow , and of course at times there is no controll because the distraction of binging keeps your mind off your thoughts and feelings-- but the instant gratification is short lived isnt it and not worth it -- but knowing this DOSENT always keep you from binging .
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2011