Chores for a 6 year old

What does or did your child do @ that age?

My son takes the laundry to the dryer and brings it back into the house and feeds the cats and cleans out the cat box, also makes his bed and cleans his room. Not usually all in the same day I feel like a slave driver lol

myownhappiness

Asked by myownhappiness at 12:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Sounds good to me. Our 6 yo brings his dirty clothes downstairs and puts them in the washer, rinses his dirty dishes and puts them in the dishwasher if its empty, cleans his room, I make the beds though :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 12:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My 6 year old daughter cleans her room..helps with dishes (she asks to do that, I don't make her).. and picks up after herself.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• At 6 mine were vacuuming and dusting their own room, taking out the trash, learning to do laundry, and sweeping the kitchen.

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• all of the above he did. Go through the house and see if there is any dishes. picked up toys in the yard before his dad would mow the yard. I think kids need to learn how to take pride in their house. It prepares them for the real world a little but at a time.
    SweetPea726

Answer by SweetPea726 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I don't assign chores. But often she chooses to help out when I empty the dryer. Sometimes she folds clothes. She often puts her clothes in the dresser. She often notices a dirty floor and asks to mop it. I sweep it first for her. She sometimes washes a counter or a table. She might fix all the family a sandwich. Sometimes she helps me put toys away, loads or unloads a dishwasher or handwashes dishes when our dish washer broke. She might help strip the bed sheets or carry sheets to the washer or dusts or vacuums. She has cleaned the toilets for me a few times. She thinks its funny to clean a toilet and giggles about it to her friends. She sees me joyfully cleaning up and wants to join in. She doesn't have to but we talk about how families help each other out when they see a need. It makes you feel good to help someone out when you choose to help them out. A forced chore doesn't feel good and leads to power struggle
    Mom2Kaylie

Answer by Mom2Kaylie at 1:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My 5yo cleans his room, feeds the cat, hangs up his and his brother's shirts, helps vacuum, puts dishes in the sink.
    Really you let him clean the litter box? I'm so scared it will just be a huge germy mess lol! Does he do a good job?
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Haha i think those are fine chores for that age. My 3 year old doesnt have chores but loves to help with laundry, she helps me sort clothes, then puts them in the washer, transfers them to the dryer nd then hands them to me to fold them. She also take the dishes once i clean them and places them in the dishwasher (with my help) and she loves to help me dust and clean the windows. She wont clean her room tho lol!! But i dont make her do these things..she comes and askes to help!
    briannasmom3

Answer by briannasmom3 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• @ 5 months I am waiting for her to start pulling her own weight.. nothing yet.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 2:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2011