Do you think it is wrong for a parent to medicate their child so that the parent's life is easier?

Or for a teacher in school to ask the parent's to put their child on medication so that they won't have to work as hard to teach the child?

My friend just put her daughter on a pretty strong drug so that she wouldn't have to watch her in the backyard and so she could get somebody to babysit her so she could go out drinking (her daughter is 5 and autistic, but not low functioning).

My brother's son's teacher (he is 6 and in kindergarten) has suggested/requested that they put him on ridalin because he "talks over her" in class.

As far as I am concerned, my friend is a ass to give dangerous drugs with nasty side effects to her 5 year old just so she can have a social life. And my brother's son's teacher just doesn't want to do her job. When did a normal, healthy, talkative child become a mental illness that needs to be drugged?

It would be so much easier to parent kids if they were given benadryl all day and were so groggy they fell asleep in their food. It would be so much easier to get through the day as a teacher if your pupils were drooling over their desks. WHY does it have to be easy? A parent knows (or should) that their children will be difficult sometimes. A teacher knows (or should) that a room full of 5-6 year olds is going to get rowdy sometimes.....When did it become a "throw a pill at it " issue???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Your brother's son's teacher's job is to TEACH not to deal with a child who won't behave in class so she can do her job. What irriates me most is the parents who think their children should be allowed to disrupt the entire classroom so that no one learns. Pills are not the answer, but neither is expecting a teacher to deal with a child who won't stop talking in class. Your nephew needs to learn how to behave at school so that everyone (including him) can learn.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thats very irritating!! Why would you drug them up so bad they can't even enjoy life!! Man..that makes me mad.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My son has autism, turrets and adhd and only takes meds as needed. Which is not often. Most days I deal with the bouncing off the walls and the talking constantly. But when it comes to the meds I ask him how he feels and most times he asks me to give him the medicine. It makes him feel normal. I have anxiety and the dr said I take medicine for my anxiety to help regulate my bodys chemistry and his medication does the same thing. It also reduces his facial ticks and makes him more cooperative. I do think that lots of parents do it as a continence though and not as a necessity. But each child is different and should be treated as such according to their own situation
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes! If children are being medicated it should be because it's what's best for them! And in some cases it is. But to medicate simply because it makes life easier for mom & dad is sick! WAY to many kids are being stuffed full of dangerous medications just so mom & dad don't have to parent...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Some medications are vital for children and are not given to make them "easier to handle." This is a very loaded question. Only a parent and their pediatrician can decide what medicines are or are not necessary for a child's welfare and health and I don't think it is anyone else's business. Judging others is a hazardous occupation.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 8:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Yes, it is wrong, unethical, and equates to child abuse. And as far as teachers or administrators bullying parents to medicate children to make them more compliant, I have often said the subject of medication should stay outside the realm of education. And I personally know what I am talking about ... I have researched ADHD for over 15 years and have been harassed re: my son and his so-called "need" for medication. The pseudo-science of psychiatry has done much to make childhood a pathological disease, though they alone are not to blame. The pharmaceutical companies have the FDA, the government, the psychiatric industry, mainstream pediatricians, the insurance companies, and the media, just to name a few, right where they want them. If a child is acting up at home or in class, some basic need is not being met ... pills aren't the answer ... the adults need to step up, but it's easier to blame some unproven brain disorder.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Teachers and school personnel are not legally allowed to suggest you put your child on medication or to say that your child has a disorder. Teachers are NOT qualified to do so. Only a medical doctor or mental health professional can.

It is never ok to put a child or anyone else on medication just to make life easier but if a child really needs the meds, then they should be on them to make it easier for the child. My son was failing school, had no self esteem and couldn't concentrate. I put him on meds and it was a complete turn around, the meds worked for him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My son has ADHD/Aspergers..and I didn't just throw a pill at him. It is a very severe issue that interupts everything in his daily life. He's 7 and can't often follow a simple-two step direction, needs constant supervision when he isn't medicated, etc. I call it "support"..but we resorted to meds because their wasn't anything else that remotely makes a difference. He has OT every two weeks..and I don't think it makes a farts bit of difference. You can't treat a brain disorder be ignoring it or wishing it would go away. Just because a child can look and appear healthy doesn't mean that they are.

I think that some cases are overdiagnosed. In our case it is not. Everything was difficult, and that isn't normal. My son did so much better this year in school because of the support we gave him. Otherwise he would have never completed an assignment.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My son has autism and in his case he does NEED to be medicated. Since he has been on the medication his mood has evened out, the horrible melt-downs from hell are now under control and his behavior has improved. I can def. tell when he has been off his meds and believe me it is NOT a pretty site!! So for him meds are going to be a way of life.
    BUT to medicate a child for a parent's convenience (like dose the kid at bedtime so they will sleep 12 hrs) I am against that. I think medication should only be given to children if there is a medical need for it and a doctor feels it is necessary (like with my son).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• or so teachers dont' have to teach, it's really sad
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2011