Choosing new ob gyn in Sparta,NJ area... should the doc be affiliated with a hospital of my choice or not?

I just found out I am pregnant... I need to schedule my first appointment and here comes my dilema... The office I used to go to (when I was pregnant with my first child) is next to the wonderful hospital I would love to give birth again at. My issue is with the distance... it's over an hour and 20 min away from my house and I remember very well how incovinient was every visit the first time. I would love to pick a doctor who is closer for the monitoring of my pregnancy, but I am not concerned about who acctually will be assisting at the delivery itself. Unfortunately all of the obgyns in my area are not affiliated with the hospital of my choice. What should I do? Should I transfer from the office in my area to the office in the hospital area last minute (at the 3rd trimester)? Please I need a good advice. Thank you.

olianka

Asked by olianka at 1:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It really depends on how important it is to you that you deliver at that hospital. Switching in the 3rd trimester isn't always as easy as it sounds. Some docs won't take you that late in pregnancy. Have you visited the other hospitals?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thank you MrsMWF. I won't switch to any other hospital, because the one I prefer is simply PERFECT (me and my family have a great history with this place). My question is... can I deliver at the certain hospital even if my doc is not affiliated with it? My second question would be... any recommendation considering docs in Sparta, NJ area?
    olianka

Comment by olianka (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Probably the only way to deliver there would be to show up in the ER when in labor. I wouldn't really recommend this. Doing so, you never know what dr. you would end up with plus they wouldn't have your medical history. If you feel comfortable not knowing the dr., then I guess it's an option. But what if you were to have complications during your pregnancy and you & your dr. decide it's best to induce or do a c/s? You would have to go to the hospital your dr. is affiliated with at that point.

I would recommend finding a dr. affiliated with that hospital if it's really where you prefer to give birth. It may be a pain to travel but it's only for a limited time.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2011