I'm not the mother... She is!

Ok, so my littles sisters grad party is tomorrow. I offered to have it at my house, and agreed to do a few things. ( I was in charge of the flower centre pieces, deviled eggs, chips, the photo poster board, BBQ meatballs, and hot dog buns) my other sister was also in charge of about the same. Our mom was suppose to do the rest, and there was not that much left of the list. Well, I wake up this morning to 4 missed calls, and a texted message from my mom that said, "I have a problem" crap! So I call to see what's up, and she said that her insurance pulled out today instead of the 27th and so she only had $130 in her account. She asked if I could help with the rest of the stuff for my sisters party. I reluctantly said yes, only because my little sister gets screwed because my mom can't budget. Anyhow, how do you say no to your mom, when it's about something like this? Dh and I are going to be fine money wise, it's just, I'm sick of having to give her money. This is not the first time. Last week, we helped my mom pay for my sister to go to the doctor, a few months ago they had their electric turned off for over a week so they had to stay with us... She is the mother, but she comes asking us for money and Im sick of it. She takes months to repay us... Ugh.

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 1:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• Ugh I hear ya! My mom is the same way. Just remember "no" is a perfectly acceptable answer.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 1:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Well I look at it like this, she does repay you, that is huge. We have also lent my mom money before. I guess we do it b/c I feel like im indebted to her for the rest of my life and she's my mom. But if you want to say no, just say sorry we can't. Hope your sister has a great party :_)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• think of it this way....it for your sister not your mother and from the sound of it if you werent doing this your sister wouldnt be getting a party.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• As long as you keep giving, she will keep asking and taking.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• better off, say no next time.That way she'll be more responsible w/ her life....
    inahan

Answer by inahan at 2:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would lend her the money for stuff for your sisters but not for her.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Since it's your sister's party, ok. But anything else I would tell her too bad. You are enabling her and she knows that you will bail her out. You'll have to start telling her no or she will keep it up.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2011