I was just noticing how many younger children....

have a facebook account! 8 and 9 year olds! Come one now! How old will your child be before you let them open a FB account?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 1:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Um when they own their own computer or phone lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Only children 13 and up are allowed to have an account according to Facebook rules. So, in order for these children to have an account they are lying about their age. Not Cool!!! Jake will follow the rules and wait till he is 13.
    chelley123

Answer by chelley123 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• when ever they are old enough to properly use it. We are military and move and I know thats how I stay in contact on the daily with my friends. I wouldn't deny my kids access to the people they love and miss when its right there and so easy. My oldest is only 3 but he still enjoys looking at the photos of friends from washington.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 1:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I believe if the child is sitting there with a parent or older responsible person reading a email or returning a email to a family member or friend is totally cool.  Allowing them under the age of 15 access to the Internet with supervision is great.  Unsupervised is a definite no no.   When a child is responsible, makes great grades, have a part time job and you can pretty allow them online.  But I honestly believe a child 8-15 have other things in which to keep them occupied besides sitting in front of a computer. 

tlcawley

Answer by tlcawley at 1:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My DS9 is not allowed on the internet without a parent present at all times! A FB page, thats just craziness! I have seen some pretty inapropriate pics on my own friends pages. Id hate to see what else my son could find! I could see allowing this in high school. I think that is a more appropriate time of development for a child to be introduced to such 'adult' things and topics. Even then I would maintain access to his account and check it often.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My kid will be eight teen i trust her but i don't want her to be bullied or exposed to something at a young age .

Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 2:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I'm a bad parents and got daughter a Fb when she was 10 or 11 and yes I lied lol. But I did it so she could talk with her cousin. Since I set up the account, I have her password and such and I approve her friends list.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2011