Where do you draw the line with your pets financially??

Ok...so I lost one of my dogs to cancer on November 30,2010. my female (his sister) has had 2 surgeries related to a foreign body removal b/c of a bone I bought from Target for her. The first surgery including ER visit was almost $2800...this second surgery (due to adhesions from first surgery) is creeping upwards of $4900. Now these dogs were rescued. people keep questioning where I draw the line b/c of money. No, we don't have that kind of money sitting around but the animals are a responsibility too, are they not?? Just wondering where you draw the line and how much you are willing to do...My mom helped us out with the first bill (which we are paying back btw) and we have insurance that will reimburse a great portion of it. just a curiousity question...it would either be do the surgery or put an otherwise healthy dog to sleep b/c you can't afford it.

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 1:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pets

• i would only Draw the Line if my dog would be in Pain & was Suffering.. other than that; i would do whatever i needed to for her..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 3:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• DH and I talked about this just the other day, after our dog's regular checkup. Do the surgery. Every time. We both couldn't live with anything else.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I agree with what's been said; I will do everything I can, without hurting my family financially.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Dh and I were just talking about this the other day. My perspective is that I will pay whatever it is that I can afford without risking my family's financial security. Once it compromises my ability to pay my mortgage and feed my children, it would be too much. Otherwise, if we could swing it without sinking, I would pay it.
    Two of my guinea pigs needed surgery last summer- one had dental surgery for an abscess and infection in her jawbone and unfortunately passed away anyhow, the other had a mass removed from her back and made a full recovery. All in all it was about six hundred dollars worth of guinea pig vet bells over the course of a month. Dh kept pointing out that a new guinea pig only costs twenty bucks... I realize it's not a pricey animal, but I love them and am committed to them and they are not disposable in my eyes! Linney is sqeauking at me right now- she's a $200 pig at this point and worth every cent!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Your a good pet owner. Yes you should do what you can to keep, (and heal) your dog healthy. I know I wouldn't have the $ to spend that much but we've fallen on hard times and my mother has taken over my dogs care till we get back on our feet. There really isn't a dollar amount Id stop at. But I couldn't financially ruin us either.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Hs, we are in about the same boat. Not that expensive. Our female needed an emergency hysotectomy, 1200$ later, she is healthy and stubborn as ever. Now our new 3 month old male got out and hit, 660$ for that surgery and 150$ ever vet vist per week, for the past 5 weeks to make sure it's setting correctly. Dh and I keep joking that these dogs better live forever. We almost put our female down because they said with her age (12 years old for a husky is old) she might now make it through the surgery and actually had to be on a iv for 3 days after her sugary and was in icu for doggies for those 3 days, we almost lost her anyways. But dh and I decided that if she might have a healthy life after, we would pay. IMO, they are a part of our family, you wouldn't say no to your kids who needed to see a doctor
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I thank God daily my pets are healthy and haven't been put in that situation. I couldn't afford it if it came to that. I won't say I will draw a line (I will claim denial on that), but I suppose it would have to be done.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• that's how I feel....she's my responsibility and I don't think I could live with anything else.
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I love my pets, they are like family to me. But I draw the line at 1000. Especially since I don't have the money to throw at them if something were to happen. I would be devastated if it were to come to that, I've already had to take my dog to the vet this year because he suddenly developed seasonal allergies and his toenails were beginning to fall off and the quicks were being exposed. So, I do take care of my dog when his health goes south. But, big operations or needing to spend a lot money every month for medication (he is now on allergy medication but it only costs 15 a month) then no, I wouldn't do it.
    I keep them up to date on shots and worming medication and have a small fund for them if they were to get sick or hurt but I can't succeed that amount.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I've made different choices depending on the situation and what sort of quality of life was possible with treatment. I've gone into debt to pay for vet bills twice and have never regretted it. I've also put one pup down because regardless of treatment he was going to be in daily pain. I've paid for some fairly expensive monthly meds and some cheap ones as well over the years. Sometimes you have to make a judgement call. I try to make that call based on what is best for my pet before I check my wallet.

I'd rather be 'animal poor' than morally bankrupt ...
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2011