My six year keeps saying he doesnt want what i make him to eat or when we go out to eat i order what he wants but doesnt eat it! whats going on?

DaddysGirl523

Asked by DaddysGirl523 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have a six year old as well. Does he not eat at all or not what you put in front of him? Does he snack through the day?
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 1:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• he picks at it, no snacks i make him eat food but he like im full but wants a snack so im like no heres food he wont budge just makes a mess and winds up on the table or floor
    DaddysGirl523

Comment by DaddysGirl523 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I say let him wait till he's really hungry. If you do that he'll finish his meal. My son did that all the time when his father would let him eat whatever/whenever he wanted. He would come home from his fathers and whine about wanting something to eat, but would never want his meal. I ended up cutting off the snacks and only giving him a certain amount of time to eat his meal, and if he didn't eat.. too bad so sad. He would have to wait until the next meal time came around. It may seem cruel, but I don't know of any other way to teach them that eating breakfast lunch and dinner are the important and necessary meals. I know that my situation is different and all but I hope it helps with you LO
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 2:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• THATS NOT CRUEL ITS DISCIPLINE YOU CANT BE IN THE KITCHEN ALL DAY RIGHT! S A THUMBS UP TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DaddysGirl523

Comment by DaddysGirl523 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• DS is the same age and the same way. It seems a lot of it lately is presentation and change it taste. Since it is summer, I would just wait and make something when he asks for it instead of trying to make him eat when he isn't hungry.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I have different opinions on this one,my mom raised 4 kids and there was times she was making 5 different meals(ours and dads) I never forced my DS to eat something he didnt like. My MIL would get annoyed but I told her kids have tastebuds also. Your DS could be trying to assert some independence,let him help with meals and menu planning.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 12:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My niece is very picky. Doctor tells her mom just feed her when she's hungry. She knows when she's hungry and will ask for it when she is. Says it won't hurt her. She will eat what her body needs when it tells her too. So I don't know. My boys ate evrything in sight!
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• thanks girlies
    DaddysGirl523

Comment by DaddysGirl523 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Jun. 18, 2011