Pageants...

When I was a little girl I used to be so upset that my mother would never let me be in a paegant. But, now as an adult I find the idea of dressing little girls (and boys) up and having someone decide who is the prettiest is at the very least an odd practice and I'm tempted to say wrong.
I do know that scolarships are available but from all accounts the money spent on these paegants could pay for college.
Am I wrong in thinking that there is mroe harm then good in participating in these?

chelley123

Asked by chelley123 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I let my oldest little girl be in our small town pageant when she was four.. she wanted to be and she was excited to dress up all pretty. She didn't win.. but she still had a great time! As long as the children are brought up right and don't have conceited, egotistical parents .. they will probably have a lot of fun even if they don't win!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think it would depend on the motivation for entering the pageant and the attitude of the parents. If the mother is just trying to live vicariously through her daughter, (think Toddlers & Tiaras) then I think it could be more harmful. However, if the child has chosen to participate of her own free will, then I think it could be a healthy thing. It could teach her poise, dedication, competitiveness, and depending on whether she wins or loses, achievment or disappointment. Most of these competitions also include a talent portion, so its not just the physical they are judged on.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• There's a difference between types of pageants, too. The ones they show on tv most often are the glam ones. Those are the ones where they go all out - spray tan, fake teeth, airbrushed photos, etc. There are natural ones too, where it's intended to be kids being kids in clothes no dressier than they'd normally wear to church or a family photo. I don't think the natural ones are as bad as the glam ones, in terms of the intentions behind them, but I think both are more about the mothers living vicariously through the kids.

There was a show years ago called Showbiz Moms & Dads that featured a horrific pageant mother and her poor kid. The community discussing that show linked to all the pageant message boards. Those women make the worst CM cat fight look like a scout meeting. They are certifiable, and they were threatening each other over both types of pageants.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I was in pageants and had a lot of fun. It was my choice to be in them and we never spent a fortune on them. The company my dad worked for sponsered me and my aunts friend owned a dress shop and let me borrow outfits for competition. We didn't have much money so if we didn't have the sponsor or the free use of dresses I wouldn't have competed. Some of the parents were out there but I have been around much worse through my sons time in sports.

Any parent who makes their childs grades, sports, music and other talents about them is not a great parent. My son witnessed a group of dads from an opposing team hit and kick their coach after a Kindergarten flag football game. I never saw anything like that in the pageant world. I am sure something crazy like that has happened but it happens often in sports and people don't seem to be as bothered by it.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 3:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• people don't seem to be as bothered by it.

On the contrary, there are complaints about it all the time. If they made more reality shows about sports parents (there's been one, but it was a half-season only), there'd be as much complaining about it as there are about the pageant parents. They usually don't make it to tv unless they're arrested, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I find the way parents act at sporting events to be horrible as well, but in that case I don't object to the activity , just the way the adults act, if that makes sense. My son does not play little league because it's not for fun anymore. It is way too competitive.
    chelley123

Comment by chelley123 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think it teaches kids to be competative. Sports used to teach teamwork but I see them becoming the same way
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think they're wrong. There is already enough pressure from society when regarding looks. The last thing a little girl needs is to literally be judged on it from a young age. It's teaching them to focus on all the wrong things, IMO.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Bottom line if you don't like pageants don't enter your child into one. What other parents allow their children to do is really their own business.

chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 1:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• chaiteamomma- No, really it's not always your own business. If something is harmful to your children you shouldn't do it. Be it pageants or sports, if it's out of hand it's not OK. That being said I didn't say they should be outlawed. Just asking other's opinions of the practice.
    chelley123

Comment by chelley123 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2011