Meddling

After reading the ? About kids and meds. I wonder why people think so deeply about situations that do no effect them in anyway-example is a mom saying parents and teachers put kids on meds. For shallow reasons-like interruption free classrooms (chuckle) and being able to let you kid play outside withouthoveringover them. It does effect the poster, why does she care? Most likely she is working on limited info.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 1:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Because there ARE a lot of children that are on the medication when it's a behavior problem due to the parents not disciplining. ADHD is also way overdiagnosed. I met a woman a few years ago who pulled her son out of school because the teacher's insisted that he must go on medication for ADHD. The child had brain damage from being run over by a car. Since the school didn't have any other diagnosis other than brain damage and didn't know how to handle the child due to his injuries, they felt they could just dope him up. ADHD was pretty non-existent when I was a child and most children did not act up. We had one kid in class that ate glue, that was about it. The lack of allowing children to run off steam and making them sit with busy work for 6-8 hours a day is pretty tough on them. It's not the ones that really have the problem, it's the ones that it's the easy way out.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I wonder why people think so deeply about situations that do no effect them in anyway

You get that you're in a debate section, right? That's the purpose of this entire subgroup of sections - Politics, Religious Debate and Parenting Debate. Not much use for people in any of them who don't think deeply about things.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• 'I wonder why people think so deeply about situations that do no effect them in anyway'

I'm not sure how you intended the above comment, but honestly it feels very callous. EVERYONE should care about something like that. If no one cared about a child being medicated unnecessarily, then one could also apply that to things like neglect(it doesn't affect you, so why do you care?), abuse, prostitution, etc.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I absolutely agree. Many people hear how all kids are being medicated just so the parents can have an easier time of it. So they want to add their two cents. So they decide that they know better then the parents and the doctor what should be done, even though they really know nothing about the situation.
    To the poster above with the friend who had to pull her child out of school; The school has to consider ALL the kids in the class. It is not the teachers job to "handle" behavioral difficulties. If the child is too disruptive to go to a regular school( and it is the teacher who should make that call) they need to be medicated, or put in a facility that can deal with their behavior. A normal child should be able to handle a school day without acting up. I too grew up when ADD was unheard of. And I saw many intelligent kids unable to learn because they spaced out, or goofed off. Ill bet some of them could have been helped.
    martine1778

Answer by martine1778 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think you people obviously misunderstood what was meant by "why do people think so deeply about situations that are not affecting them" I think the poster meant it as why do people think they can judge what other families do with meds when they don't know the full story, and should really have no say in the decision. Thats the whole point of this discussion; MEDDLING. Comparing a family's decision to medicate their child's mental illness to prostitution and abuse is intolerable and disgusting. I simply can not believe that anyone would say such a thing!
    martine1778

Answer by martine1778 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• To the poster above with the friend who had to pull her child out of school; The school has to consider ALL the kids in the class. It is not the teachers job to "handle" behavioral difficulties
    That child should have had an IEP,having one does not equate being in a special ed classroom. It could allow for roaming,stretching,... whatever was needed to help the child make it thru his day.
    I know what I am talking about,I am mom to a multi handicapped 15YO son.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• 1teachers can't diagnose or demand meds.
    2 a kid with head tram needs a 504 plan not meds.
    3 yes I meant judging others by meddling, or gossiping shallowly
    I just see this a lot as a teacher, it works for some kids and they r the lucky ones.
    I come from a family of with a lot of undiagnosed adhd. Wish my fam could have had the help available now.
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• UM NEWSFLASH ADHD and or ADD was not UNHEARD OF it simply wasn't disussed-as often was the situation way back when-I am so sick of other's always saying OH they didn't have that when I was a kid etc..etc.. bull shit-it's just that other's didn't discuss their problems in public and the kids feared they're parents-abuse[yes it happened and yes it affected said grown adults now] or -corrporal punishment etc.. so reserved acting up for at home and or other places besides a public situation, Also there wasn't alot of medical tittles for things like this and food allergies etc.. so many things an ause a hild's extreme behaviours food allergies,being abused,neglected,treated like rap by teachers,some children just are extra hyper et.. and need medication but it's not black and white like alot of you would like to think.Also so many-too many teachers are lazy and just want all hildren to sit be seen n not heard and the minute they ge
    Gemini5

Answer by Gemini5 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Continued- the minute the child gets a bit rambuntious etc.. the teacher screams meds-I've worked in many a classroom and this has been the case.It isn't always the hild's fault-grow up people sometimes it is the adult's fault and child is simply reating,accting out for a reason. No cchild is ever bad-bratty at times sure but never "bad" There I've said my piece.
    Gemini5

Answer by Gemini5 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• And yes to answer the meddling question-why other's meddle and such-I think that was the question,lol.. sorry got heated responding to the other posts.Everyone always thinks and feels entitled to add two cents/advice etc.. to other parents-I have been known to be guilty of this too but I do always first ask-is it ok to suggest something to you or would you like my help? Not just interfering. Non of us should ever meddle in one another's parenting style unless the child[ren] are clearly being abused in any way,neglected etc.. We all need to walk a mile in each other's shoes-every family is different and if society would relax more and stop all the judging and blame game-we are in 2011 not in the 60's anymore times change etc.. it doesn't matter how we were brought up things have changed and if we were less crytical things would go more smoothly-parenting our children etc.. with less fear n worry and staring from the public.
    Gemini5

Answer by Gemini5 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2011