If the fetus is not growing, does it means it's dead?

Please help.I went to a new doctor to treat me during pregnancy, I was 5 weeks and the image came weird on the ultrasound, she said we had to wait another two weeks, now I'm 7 weeks and she said the fetus was even a little bit smaller than last time and recommended medicine to produce contractions, but I'm not sure!

Vian.aram

Asked by Vian.aram at 2:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would get a second opinion.. That doctor kind of sounds like a quack!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would not take the medicine to produce contractions. That doesn't sound right. If you haven't had any bleeding, chances are you haven't miscarried and if you take this woman's advice, you are liable to kill your baby.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Generally early in pregnancy they see noticeable growth and development on u/s. At 7 weeks, you should be seeing a h/b in a viable pregnancy, and the fetus should be about average size for a 7 week pregnancy. If they are not seeing a h/b or any growth in two weeks, unfortunately that's not a good thing. But if you are at all unclear at what the doctor or u/s tech are telling you, sit down and ask questions until you understand all the details. The doctor or u/s tech should be willing to walk you through exactly what they are seeing and exactly what this tells them, but you may need to be assertive to make them show you and explain in layman's terms.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• There is also an option for bloodtesting. If the pregnancy has ended two consesecutive hromones reads should be pretty clear about that by the failure to increase.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Oh, I am so sorry. It sounds like your doc thinks that the baby failed to thrive if she is offering that med. It is always okay to call and ask for clarification, though. Sometimes the OBs kind of gloass over things, and forget that they haven't relayed all the details. THEY know what is going on, but then WE still don't.

I hope I am wrong, and that everything turns out okay mama.

hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• wtf...
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 3:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I suggest if you get a 2nd opinion and get the same answer, take the meds. I was pregnant and there was no baby, just an empty egg sac. They said I could take meds to induce a miscarriage or do it naturally. I chose naturally. It took 5 months for me to miscarry and I'll tell you that it was 10 times worse miscarrying at 5 months than it is around 7 weeks. But my doc also did blood tests to make sure that my levels were dropping the whole time too.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011