baby cereal...rice oatmeal....

How long did you give your baby cereal mixed with their food? My baby wants to start to eat big boy food but how long do they need the nutrition from the cereal?

Frogger33

Asked by Frogger33 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is he? If he is ready to eat table foods and stuff, let him. You posted in the toddler section, so I am assuming he is over a year old, in which case it is time to start feeding him a balanced diet and that is where he will get his nutrition.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Remember that there are lots of fortified cereals out there on the big people shelf at the store. If you are worried about cutting it out of his diet, just give him cherios ans kicks along with other healthy big people food.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 2:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You can get iron fortified whole wheat crackers in the baby section. My daughter is 10 months old and rarely eats pureed baby foods anymore. She won't do the plain cereal, but we would mix it. She gets cereal maybe once a week now. And that is only because I still have some of the puree and I don't want to waste it. She eat the stage 3 proteins, but those are so thick I cannot mix the cereal in there.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My twins no longer wanted to be fed or eat baby food at 11 mos so we switched to table food then. I started with mostly finger foods and then when they were able to use a spoon I started with regular oatmeal just like I eat.

Up to age 1 children get their nutrition from breastmilk and/or formula and baby food serves the purpose of learning how to eat.
    After age 1, when children have switched to whole milk (or some other type of milk) their nutrition comes from the food they eat (which presumably is pretty much the same food that you eat).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2008