• In the Spotlight:

My daughter's first birthday is in 2 weeks, any tried, good recipes for "healthy" cake?

I don't have to have a no sugar, egg, or milk cake. I just would like something will LESS of the bad stuff :) She has not had egg whites yet though and I really don't know if this is the time to introduce them. If you have any recipes that maybe use applesauce or yogurt etc. that would be wonderful....oh, and actually taste good :)

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what about applesauce cake, carrot cake, chocolate zuccuni cake, banana cake, upside down pineapple or pear cake, pumpkin cake,
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I used a recipe in the back of "What to Expect". It was terrible .. . . my baby wouldn't even eat it!

If I were to do it again. . .

Substitute whole grain wheat flour for white. Just use the egg yolk only, and 2/3 the sugar called in the recipe. A healthier frosting can use cream cheese as a base, mixed with vanilla extract and, of course, powdered sugar.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• For my DD first birthday, I made homemade banana cupcakes with just a smear of cream cheese frosting. They weren't too sweet, but it was still sweet enough to be a little bit of a treat for her.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Go to www.wholesomebabyfood.com they have recipes for healthy babys first birthday cake and frosting
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2011