This is for Christians who oppose homosexuality or gay marriage......

Do you consider yourself to be an equal human being with homosexuals?Aren't we all equal? If given the opportunity to vote for or against same sex marriage, if you vote against, where is the equality?

Asked by older at 3:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Oh, I soooo agree with you, older. There is just no equality present in denying based on groupings.

By the way, the UN just voted last Friday . . they passed a resolution, the first ever, to support equaly rights, around the planet, regardless of sexual orientation. It is pretty historical.

:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If given the opportunity to vote for or against same sex marriage, if you vote against, where is the equality?

I would abstain my vote ... marriage isn't an issue that should be voted on, period. It shouldn't be regulated by the government.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It's equal because everyone has a chance to vote, my opinion just happens to be different from theirs. I also don't agree with abortion. Just because I vote pro life doesn't mean that pro abortion people aren't equal to me, just that they have a different opinion. As I have stated before, I won't fight against it, but I can't in good conscience vote for something that I don't agree with.

Answer by missanc at 4:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Equality has nothing to do with it. Yes, all people are created equal. That does not make their sin right. Christians who are against homosexuality are against it because it is a sin, just like stealing, murder, rape. So should we allow those things to be legal so we can all be equal?
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 4:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Here is the things: "Married" in the eyes of the church is different than "married" in the eyes of the law. Along with legal marriage, there are certain right that long-term monogamous couples have. Certain LEGAL rights. If the God that you worship doesn't "accept" gay marriage, then the church should just refuse to marry the individuals in the church. But "God" has nothing to do with common legality, and there should be no "spritual" reason why one person should have rights over another.

BTW, the God I believe in stands for love, respect, and equality across the board . .. . so NOT allowing gay marriage is against my spirituality and belief system.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• And yes, I believe that homosexuals are equal in terms of human dignity and human rights.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

Ooo...when do we get to make all the 7 deadly sins illegal? I'm waiting on that one!
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 4:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• A Christian employer would have to give benefits to a gay spouse, for example.

So by that logic - should Christian employers be allowed to deny benefits to atheist employees or employee's atheist spouses? (or their Hindu, Taoist, Wiccan or Agnostic spouses)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I am leaving a comment because my son had an agrument with his youth pastor that it doesn't say anywhere in the bible that God says to be against gays and they argued for awhile over this and finally he said Dakota was right that it doesn't say directley in the bible that it is a sin, it says it is detestable.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I love this part of Eilish's answer ... "marriage isn't an issue that should be voted on, period. It shouldn't be regulated by the government." 

I don't understand why some are so afraid of same-sex marriages being legal and recognized as such. They are not harming your (general) marriage nor anyone else's. It's just two people in love with each other that want to have a legally binding commitment. 

Oh and missnc, what and who the hell is "pro-abortion"? 
    (I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I saw that and had to find out

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2011