Continuous dribbling and bed wetting? Help!

My 4 year old daughter was potty trained at 16 months old. I never even bought a pullup for her even at night. Now with in the last 6 months her panties are always damp. never enough to soak through her pants but enough to be able to smell it thru out the day. its driving me crazy!!! and she is constantly wetting her bed at night. we have been to the dr. and they are just not being helpful at all. so frustrating! has this happened to anyone else?

prettynpink343

Asked by prettynpink343 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• bed wetting is a sign she may have been traumatized by something, I'd reach out for more help. Definitely go to another doctor, what a retard. GL

yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thanks, the only thing i can think of is when we moved to a new house but its just frustrating. our pediatrician was concerned that maybe it was an issue with her bladder so she sent us to a specialist that was absolutely ridiculous.
    prettynpink343

Comment by prettynpink343 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I heard of this once before, and that child needed to see a pediatric urologist. She actually needed minor surgery to correct a congenital defect of the urethra. Since your child used to stay dry but is now dribbling and wetting, I'd guess that this isn't the issue in your case. I'd suspect some sort of trauma that damaged the muscles causing the leakage. Have you seen any other evidence that might indicate abuse? Otherwise, insist your pediatrician check for a bladder infection. I hate to compare your situation to my daughter's dog, but she demanded her vet check the puppy for a bladder infection, because she was having no success housebreaking the puppy. The vet acted like she was just a clueless pet owner. His expression changed when the bladder infection was positive. She got medication for the pup, and has had no more accidents. I'd get a new doctor, too. If he's not going to be helpful, he should be fired.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think its pretty common about this age you know. I would try making her sit a little longer when see goes to the toilet. She may not be emptying her bladder properly or even wiping. At 4 years old they seem to be very busy and want to get things done in a hurry ... I would also consider putting her back into a diaper or pull up at night until she became dry again, you don't really have to make a huge deal about it. I do believe that little ones just become so tied up in their thoughts and imagination that they don't really concentrate on the signals their bodies are giving out. If she doest like being in a pull up she may concentrate just that little bit more.
    MadreMas

Answer by MadreMas at 2:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thank You so much Dr. Danuloff for taking the time to respond to me. That makes alot of sense and i will definately be checking into your websight. I know that it was nothing with abuse or trauma so none of the other answers helped me at all. Thank You again.
    prettynpink343

Comment by prettynpink343 (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2011