How do I cope with this? adult content

Despite drinking mother's milk tea, taking a prescription and having a diet containing a lot of oats and fenugreek my milk supply is rapidly diminishing :( I feel so guilty every time I have to supplement with formula in addition to giving my son lots of oatmeal cereal in his milk. He is just four and a half months as of today (Father's Day 2011) and eats 5-7 oz. every 31/2 to 6 hrs. I am no longer confidant I can keep up with him and it makes me sad. On top of the overwhelming amount of food consumed, he cannot latch due to early bacterial meningitis (1 mo. old) and I have been exclusively pumping since day one. I have a manual pump that I use most of the time which is like a piston style design that exhausts hands/hurts nipples by the time there is a substantial amount of milk. I do so until I am painfully extracting drops and can't stand it anymore :( But I feel like I am letting him down by failing to make enough to fill him up.

LovableFox

Asked by LovableFox at 4:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is the way most people who believe that babies need to be breastfed make you feel, you did your best your job is to give that baby nutrients any which way you can, no need to feel the way you do.

Answer by older at 4:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Gosh yeah people can be so mean my dad tried to guilt me for not physically being able to feed the baby naturally even though at that time I was able to give him breastmilk exclusively what a thing to say to someone when their baby is in the hospital, huh? Needless to say I am instead helping my love enjoy his first Father's Day as an honorary member :)
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Why are you giving him cereal in his milk, did the dr tell you to do that?
    If you can't breastfeed then you can't don't beat yourself up about it. Just switch to straight formula, there's no shame in it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• His pediatrician said that four months and up you can start feeding cereal if you can't keep up and it's good for their digestive abilities he likes the oatmeal a lot even more than the rice cereal but all the pressure I get from everyone is mean comments about not being able to feed him naturally even when i could keep up with him with milk. Yeah that was my dad by the way needless to say I am celebrating father's day with my sweetheart as it is the first time he can as an honorary member to the dad's club. But I would feel terrible about it and he stains up his clothes because he can barely stand the stuff he spits up a lot of it. I think it is the cows milk that bothers him but he even leaks gobs of the soy variety it's so not natural and it gets wasted if not used up pretty quickly also it's expensive and tedious mixing/warming when he really gets to screaming.
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I understand how you feel. But if you can't breast feed then you have to go with the next best thing. Im sorry you are going through this.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 4:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You also posted in the breastfeeding moms group.... and were given some answers. I think it's a bloody miracle you've been able to manage with that pump this long.

Cereal in the milk is a choking hazard... should only be done for reflux. Are you sure doc didn't want you to give it with a spoon?

Answer by gdiamante at 4:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• No mention of a spoon as of yet he has a checkup soon though I'm not sure his swallowing reflex is up for that yet he still even has trachial myalgia or under developed cartilage in his lung so he even breathes funny but at least he's not a preemie or anything...sigh
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• When I returned to work, my pumping output couldn't keep up with what my daughter needed even with the medical grade hospital pump I was using, so it's a wonder you've done as well as you have with a hand pump! Kudos to you! We ended up having to supplement formula on the days I worked, and she's a happy, healthy kid. Don't be so hard on yourself - you're doing a great job! Even if you have to supplement some, he'll still be getting some benefits from the breastmilk you DO give him.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Considering the throat issues the cereal really scares the hell out of me for you.

You're doing better than you give yourself credit for.

See if doc can't write you a scrip for a decent double electric. Insurance may well cover it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• No the insurance didn't help a bit, I have the Lansinoh pump that barely makes an itty bitty bit more when followed up by the manual and there is enough electricity for it (live in a camper so when there is a lengthy drive or lots of charge to the solar panels on one of a few sunny days in WA lol)
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011