My doctor said that the acne i have on my face is due to herpes , type one??? do u have any information about how can i cure my self my doctor gave me these medicines:

valacyclovir HCL 500 mg

Doxycycline mono 100 mg

Clindamycin-benzoyl perox Gel ( cream)

so did u ever had such like this problem with acne?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Health

• If it's cold sores you are talking about you can buy an over-the-counter medicine called Abreva.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Those meds should definately clear you up!

My acne was bacterial. I took a daily tetracycline for about a year, and haven't had a problem since.

Good luck mama!
    Anonymous

• wow I have never heard of that before! I would buy the neutragena wave , it has cleared my skin up.
    NookBoookMom

Answer by NookBoookMom at 4:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Treating acne with antibiotics is common practice but it does absolutely nothing ... and it's never a good idea to take antibiotics for the long-term. Make sure you're supplementing with plenty of probiotics while on antibiotics or you'll be setting yourself up for more problems. You need to treat from the inside out. First and foremost, you should remove all dairy from your diet; dairy is a HUGE culprit in acne. Also, have your zinc levels tested but do not start supplementing on your own until you know exactly what your levels are because you need to maintain the proper zinc/copper ratio in the body for optimal health. Acne is often the result of a zinc deficiency, but you won't hear that from allopathic doctors.
    Anonymous

• Well, I've never heard of acne being caused by herpes. Herpes is a virus, why would your doc give you medications meant to treat bacteria? It is common knowledge that antiobiotics do not work on viruses. In promoting antibiotics to treat acne, blame is put on bacteria as the cause of acne but bacteria is on EVERY human face so why is it that not everyone suffers from it? I'm with anon on this one; I think you need to look at your diet; rashes, pimples, pox and other skin outbreaks are attempts by the body to clean itself of toxins, foreign chemicals, and the residues of junk food.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• First, let's clear something up: your acne is being caused by a virus. No matter what your zinc levels, dairy intake is, etc, that's not going to change the fact that you have a strong viral infection. The 1st medicine you list is for treating herpes. It is NOT an antibiotic. The 2nd one is an antibiotic. The 3rd medicine reduces the swelling of your acne. Are any of the pimples infected? That's one reason you could have the antibiotic. There's a type of acne called Gram-negative folliculitis where the hair follicles get infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which is treated with the antibiotic that you were prescribed. Actually, the antibiotic that you were prescribed is a standard antibiotic for treating acne. I think you've probably got 2 things going on with your skin. I do agree you should supplement with probiotics when taking antibiotics. Antibiotics are not useless when acne is caused by the bacteria P. acnes.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I Agree with EV. I was very into nutrition and alternative medicine when I had my acne outbreak. I tried adjusting my diet. Nothing, Supplementing. Nothing. Herbs. Nothing. Accupuncture, tea tree oil, detoxes . . nothing, nothing, nothing. It wasn't until the antibiotics that my sudden severe acne cleared up. It was to the point where I couldn't even cover them up and hated to leave the house or socialize.

Sometimes, it is infection-related. And you need meds.
    Anonymous

• If hair follicles get infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria, why treat with antibiotics?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Actually, MRSA, does not mean "antibiotic-resistant", it mean "Methicillin resistant". There are antibiotics that will fight the MRSA bacteria . . . Bactrim being one of them.
    Anonymous