Oh my gosh why?

Why does my son INSIST on sucking his hands? He defiantly spits out his pacifier and gets gooey. It grosses me out that he gets himself all sticky in seconds flat! What can I do about it. My love the silly creative man that he is tried putting maple syrup on the pacifier which Eugene loved but that only works temporarily is there anything I can do to get his interest in sucking the pacifier back?

LovableFox

Asked by LovableFox at 4:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is the baby?
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• my son was the same way. didn't want the pacifier at all! and wanted his hands. i kept pulling his hands away from his mouth telling him no. he eventually got it and didn't take either.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Teething? My dd does it like crazy, I think she's going to suck her hand right off lol She's 5 mo but we let her do it, I don't see an issue. She's not crawling around though and getting her hands nasty though.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• He is four and a half months old and his hands are the grossest gooeyest stickiest things that could ever rest on arms! :(
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I'm not gonna harp on you for giving syrup to a tiny baby (but I guess I just did) but I suppose that's why he's sticky hu? What else would make his hands all gooey and sticky? i thought it was normal for a baby that age to do this.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• No he was way sticky BEFORE his little tasty treat (completely his dad's idea btw) that was the breif instance that he was behaving himself lol
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Have you tried different brands of pacifiers? Maybe he doesn't like the nipple?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• He used to love the ones we got him, but ever since he found his hands...dun dun dun...
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think that little ones either gravitate towards one or the other and sometimes now matter how you push the pacifier some will just got for their hands. Even if they will take a pacifier on occasion they will still suck and drool all over their hands, it is part of exploring.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Why do u want to start on a pacifier anyway?? It just means more work for u when he needs to give it upo when hes older anyway, well unless u want him sucking on it when he goes to kindergarden. If he doesn't want so force the issue.
    Anonymous