Hey why is it that the medical communtiy seem to gravitate towards exclusive formula feeding?

Man they must really be paid off by the pharmaceutical industry! Eep. Complete lack of sympathy for those of us that try so hard to make milk for our babies!

LovableFox

Asked by LovableFox at 4:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmmm where did this info come from? The only thing even closely related to this that I've heard lately is to give my DD vitamin D supplement b/c she doesn't get at least 18oz of forumla per/day, but the pedi did not recommend we quit BFing and switch. Formula is gross, just smell it lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think it's the reverse. I think most of the medical community know breastfeeding is better and are supportive. You must have had a bad experience and I'm sorry for that! Many hospitals are now not offering formula to new moms, unless they request it.

Answer by missanc at 4:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• almost every member of the "medical community" that i ran into during all 3 of my pregnancies pushed breastfeeding on me. one nurse, when i asked her when my milk would dry up since i didn't want to breastfeed, asked me "why would you want to give up the best gift you could give your baby?"
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yep all the doctors I have encountered except for one have encouraged breastfeeding. The one that did not is because my little one was not gaining weight but after working with the lactation consultant and showing that the growth chart they were using was not quite right he was willing to work with me and let me make the decisions that I would have anyways.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Wonderful to hear your experiences were different! It seemed every nurse I came across was COLD and pro formula to where they pretty much told me to give it up and that it wasn't a big deal. Sure it would be hard on them with thier hours even to pump but OUCH!
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• That isn't at all what my experience has been either from the ob/gyn side or the pediatrics side.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• LovableFox's experience, sadly, isn't unusual. There are too many docs who do indeed push formula. Why? Because it can be measured.

I wish EVERY mom had the alternate experiences related by the respondents above.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Actually ironically my milk is measured because he had bacterial meningitis and I have had to pump since day one :(
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Regardless its up to us as mothers to do what's best.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 4:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i didn't feel presure either way. actually it was my mother and grandmother pushed formula even though my grandmother was the one that breastfed my mother and the last one in my family to breastfeed. i was discouraged to do it. so i was in so much pain and with them and i gave in. i did it in the hospital and then she got formula and breastmilk once it stopped hurting like knives. then after that i did it for about 3 months. it was fine and i enjoyed it but hats off to thos that breastfeed exclusively. i had to work and i didn;t have enough to pump so it dryed up. i would do it again if someday i have another baby. like i said neither encouraged or discouraged on my end.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2011