Would you take offense?

My son's 5th grade class had an end of year "field trip" It was an overnight held at the school by a company that does colonial encampments. They had tents for the kids to sleep in, colonial clothes, they played colonial games, made some colonial crafts, cooked and ate colonial food, etc. I chaperoned and it was really a cool experience.
Before meals, they led a prayer (this is a public school). I was very surprised, and being as I'm Christian, it didn't bother me at all and had they not prayed I would have said a prayer to myself anyway. But I wondered how some of the other parents would feel about a prayer being said on a public school field trip. Religion was part of the colonials lives, but would you be okay with it?

Asked by missanc at 4:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't have cared. I know when to pick my battles, and that one wouldn't be worth it to me. And when I was younger I would have LOVED that field trip. I was always really into that stuff! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Also for all those "don't care because I'm Christian" - would you feel the same if it were your child at a Native American re-enactment participating in a Shamanistic ritual?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i wonder how most of you christian moms would feel if they led a buddhist-based prayer or started reciting lines from the Quran, though?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Did they indicate the students were expected to join in, or was it more of a show by the people in the re-enactment?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would have been ok with it, assuming it was lead by the colonial people & they were using it as a demonstration of that part of colonial life. I think it would have been nice to have known before hand, just so kids would know what to expect. Just a short note to the parents saying the actors will be praying before meals since that was a traditional part of the colonial lifestyle & letting parents know that the kids are expected to show respect but do not have to participate. I think that would be appropriate for any type of religious demonstration to school age children.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• would you feel the same if it were your child at a Native American re-enactment participating in a Shamanistic ritual?

I would be fine with it- but then again- history, culture and science don't bother me ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I don't mind since I am a Christian as well.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Ah, here we go again with the"Our country's schools have gone to shit because we took prayer away" argument... Oh, come off it!!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I'd be fine with that. But, I definately know a few parents who would have flipped. But, I am okay with my kids being exposed to any denomination or non-demonination. It is all an education.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You can bet parents will have complained. In this day and age anything that has the slightest degree or even an inclination of religious activity is scrutinized to the nth degree. Maybe they should have sent permission slips home and asked the parents if they would object to a 60 second prayer. I would have been fine with it...but I'm sure some were not.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011