Is it okay to give goats milk to a baby on a supplemental basis?

Eugene and I both think formula is disgusting and unnatural he does so by spitting up most of it when I have to give him some on an only in case of scarcity basis and I heard somewhere that it was definetely better than cows milk for them. Is it true? I know cows milk is proven to promote symptoms of anxiety and depression in adults, why feed it to infants? Much less have it as a main staple for so much of this country's population...? I myself am a rice milk afficianado lol :)

LovableFox

Asked by LovableFox at 4:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Goat milk doesn't have the necessary nutrition for an infant

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You posted elsewhere that the baby is under five months. At this age, I wouldn't do goats milk.

I do take my hat off for all you've been doing, though. Check back on the group.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If you think formula is unnatural then are you planning to or are you breastfeeding? Feeding any kind of milk other than human milk is "unnatural."

It isn't popular but they do make goat's milk formula as well.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It is really better to sick with breastmilk or formula until the 12 month mark. If you opt for goat after that, just make sure it is pasteurized.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Their little tummies are not set up to digest any other milk other than breastmilk until they are 1. And although formula is not as good as breastmilk it is made for little ones tummies to digest. You are not supposed to give your little one cows milk either until they reach the age of 1. If your baby is having issues with spitting up then I might try a gentlease formula or a different type.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Umm well my sister was put on goats milk when she was born bc she couldn't tolerate breastmilk and formula so idk I guess check with your babies doc. And she what they say.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 5:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I thought I might add that goat's milk is easier for little one's to digest and most can digest it earlier than they can digest cow's milk, BUT it is still recommended to stick with human milk or formula until the baby is around 1 year old. An upset tummy could be relieved by trying the goat's milk formula or Enfamil Gentlease or Similac Senstitive. But until the baby is AT LEAST 9 months old, pure goat's milk is not a good idea.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011