Baseball vs Football vs Soccer Cleats

My DD7, SD8, DS8, & DS12 played baseball & softball this spring. We bought them all rubber soled cleats as that is what Little League told us to get. I don't recall the boxes being marked as baseball specifically. We live in a small town & the local sporting goods store had them in stock & the majority of the kids playing baseball had the same shoes. This fall, the boys are playing football & SD 8 is playing soccer. Do they need new shoes (assuming they don't outgrown them during the summer)? I know there are major differences in cleats for adult players but how do I tell with kids' shoes? Is there some way to tell by looking at the shoes? Anyone else have kids who play multiple sports?

SaraBeth1204

Asked by SaraBeth1204 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes they will need new cleats you can tell the difference. IDK about where you live but here in Cali the refs check each players cleats before each game to make sure they are wearing the right ones.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 8:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• soccer cleats have an extra spike on the front. When I was growing up I remember my Dad having to inform all the parents that the league required baseball cleats specifically and that the kid's soccer cleats could not be recycled. The league had a policy against this because the extra spike on the soccer cleats could hurt someone if they were sliding into a base. If your league has a policy then of course follow it, but if not the baseball cleats and soccer cleats are identical except for that extra spike.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• No they won't need new cleats. My sons, 8 and 12, play football and over the years they've worn soccer cleats and baseball cleats for football. Your dd might need new cleats depending. Soccer cleats are lower so the shin guard and ankle guards fit comfortably, but if her ball cleats still fit have her try them with the shin guard and if they are comfortable then use them.

canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011