How does your childs day care or school handle Father's Day?

I'm just wondering.. with so many single mom's out there (and kids who have nothing to do with their dads) how does your school handle Father's Day? My daughters preschool made cute little crafts that say #1 Dad with a picture of DD, and she can give it to him on Sunday, but I know there are kids there whose dad's are not involved. Do they ask the mom? Do they just make the crafts?

Not trying to be insensitive or anything, I really just wonder.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Holidays

• My kids were 10.5 months and 3.5 years old when their dad died. It's never been something I've kept from them, and as time goes on, the questions will get easier. The best thing IMO to do is to just talk about him openly and honestly on a daily basis. They can know their dad through you and stories you can share. I'm not going to lie - there are times I feel like I've been slapped across the face with a question out of left field, but it's better then grow up knowing and understanding than being the ones to feel like they've been smacked with the truth.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think they just make the craft regardless of a child's specific situation. We are grandparents raising grandchildren, we've had them for 6 years. Day-cares and now teachers and Sunday school teachers are all aware of this particular living situation. We still get things for Mom and Dad - they don't make exceptions for out of the 'normal' family living arrangements. We don't care, the children don't seem to care, they are happy to give us whatever they make. Right now a Father's Day cake is in the fridge, made by the loving hands of our 6 year old kindergartner with the words Happy Father's Day, which will also be given to him on Sunday with a card made at school that says "happy Father's Day"

meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• good question. i think for those that have the father's involved they make the crafts. i have no idea. but she has not gone for two days so she probably didn't do the crafts. she is only 2 but that would be interestng when they get older. i figure they do it for grandfather.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I've wondered about this being a widow with young children. I'm kinda worried about it actually.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Hill.... I'm also a young widow with children. Thankfully, the kids have always been out of school before Father's Day ever comes around. The worst we've had to deal with is a Donuts with Dad on a Saturday morning, and those have been easy to ignore.

Sorry you're having to have this as a worry :(
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Both our school and daycare makes a craft for dad. Everyone in our classes actually has a dad. If they didn't, I would hope that they would take that into consideration. I think it would be up to the mother to point it out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thanks Ginger. I'm really just worried about them feeling left out or them coming home and asking why they don't have a Dad and then all of a sudden I'm on the spot and have to explain it all to them. I know it will have to happen one day, but in a perfect world I would pick the time and place and be fully prepared with all the answers written out.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• We are out of school for summer break when Father's Day rolls around so it is a non-issue for us.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 5:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2011