Does anyone know how to......

Does anyone know how to make the homemade ornaments? I made them before when I was young with my mom and sisters and we dried them somehow and hung them on the tree. I asked my mom how to make them and she can't remember..LOL. I wanted to let my son make some for the tree this year and cannot find how to. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 2:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Holidays

• Baked Dough for Christmas Ornaments
    Materials - flour, salt, vegetable oil, water, paint

Instructions:

Mix together 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, and 2 tbsp vegetable oil.
    Slowly add 3/4 to 1 cup of water and stir until you get a nice clay consistency.
    Once completely mixed, make into the desired shapes for different Christmas themes. You can mold shapes, or roll the dough out and use Christmas cookie cutters to shape.

Bake your Christmas ornaments in a 250 degree oven for approximately 1 hour. This will vary depending on how thick you creations are. Paint your finished ornaments.

Hint: Do not make the Christmas ornaments too thick or they will crack with baking
    CrissiCat

Answer by CrissiCat at 2:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Flour, water, salt...............roll it out like cookies, cut with holiday cookie cutters and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour. Then you can just paint them
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You can also tint them with powered drink mixes if you want something the kids won't get too messy with. Just mix it in before you add the water to the flour and the salt.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Take a small apple and cover it with whole cloves.

Answer by Bmat at 3:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• McCormick Spices has some great recipes for cinnamon and dough ornaments. http://www.mccormick.com/Holidays/Holiday.aspx
    SassyJulie

Answer by SassyJulie at 4:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Which ornaments are you talking about??
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You can also use equal parts ground cinnamon and applesauce (might need a little more cinnamon to keep it from being too wet) Roll it out like cookie dough and cut shapes out. Use a straw to make holes for string or ribbon. Lay them out on waxed paper until they dry, add strings, and hang. (Note, I had some that I guess didn't have enough cinnamon and the third Christmas after I made them I got them out of the closet and they were moldy. The rest are still like brand-new though)
    jlknudsen5478

Answer by jlknudsen5478 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2008