Religion/Atheism/Violence and all that stuff

What a great article this is on the topic:

Link

"The entire debate is the logical fallacy of the excluded middle.

Here's the thing. If you write a book called God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, you sell a lot of books. If you write a book called What's So Great About Christianity on the evils of atheism, you also sell a lot of books. If you say that neither extremist viewpoint makes any sense, you end up doing a podcast and working as a greeter at Wal-Mart directing customers to the section where they sell Hitchens and D'Souza books. The truth is less incisive, it's less inflammatory, it raises no ire, and it draws no audience."

Read it and let me know what you thinnk-

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 5:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Don't have time to read the article at the moment, but from what you quoted, I totally agree. Peace lies in the middle, and that goes for more than religion.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• LOL @podcasts and WalMart

This is why I say violence is the result of sin ... both the religious and non-religious are corrupted by sin and are therefore capable of violence. It isn't the religion (or lack of one) that makes one violent or not. There a plenty of peaceful people on both sides as well.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 5:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I don't believe in sin. That's an asinine comment, IMO.
    As for the link, I agree mostly with what he says, except that most religions have a clause about violence. People who follow a particular religious path usually have an ethical (call it moral?) directive toward kindness and/or not murdering people. Whereas the colour of your underpants comes with no such moral imperative. So while I agree that the majority of people are just people and the majority of murder is just murder, the following of a specific spiritual path "should" lead to a less violent life. It doesn't work that way because people do become obsessive about morality and in their desire to "save" others and the world at large, they feel they need to "spread the word" even if it means killing the enemy. Sort of convoluted illogical logic, but there you have it.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• @soyousay, essentially yes.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

meh ... I think it's asinine to not believe in sin ... so who's right?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Interesting take- so lets see if I understand- do you mean that even if you do not believe something to be sinful-like say greed-it can still be corrupting and lead to violence- you can think greed is A-OK but there is no denying that greed and violence are related- was that the point or did I miss something-
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Fair enough, -Eilish-, maybe sin is obvious. :P I don't believe in right and wrong, only choices we make based on what outcomes we foresee at any given time. A belief in sin is just a guilt trip for no reason, IMO. I did say, "in my opinion". You believe whatever floats your boat, I don't feel a need to criticize you, although I do wish more Christians would honestly question their beliefs and philosophy. Many are afraid to, thanks to the spectre of Hell and all that. It's kinda sad and pathetic (again, my opinion) and the reason I describe it as pathetic is because I used to be there and it took me years to find the courage to seriously question the basics of my faith.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2011