Midwife? OB? Family doctor??

Who did you have deliver your baby? would you do it the same again?
I am thinking midwife... or a nurse midwife at a birthing center.. any advice on that?

tasha94952

Asked by tasha94952 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• #1 ~ hospital birth w/epidural ~ HORRIBLE experience
    #2 ~ hospital birth w/no meds ~ OK experience
    #3 ~ accidentally born @ home; husband caught her! ~ LOVED IT!
    #4 ~ planned homebirth w/midwife ~ LOVED IT!
    #5 ~ planned homebirth w/midwife but had an emergency c-section due to prolapsed cord ~ most painful recovery I've had.
    #6 ~ planned VBAC @ home w/midwife; husband caught him b/c we waited a little too long to call midwife ~ LOVED IT!
    #7 ~ planned 'birthing center' birth w/midwife ~ it was ok; I labored at home for the most part; almost didn't get to the center in time; within 10 minutes of arrival delivered her and then rested a few hours and then went home.
    #8 ~ we are planning a homebirth w/midwife ~ we are contemplating doing an unassisted...not sure yet!

I, personally, prefer a homebirth over a birthing center. I can relax so much more in my own surroundings as opposed to deciding when to go to the birthing center.
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 6:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I went to a midwife for my first and I absolutely LOVED her. She was fantastic, but the office she worked at closed down and the one she moved to SUCKS and they won't let her deliver. So I switched all together and went to an OB for my second pregnancy. She is also fantastic. I'm only 24 weeks so no baby yet, but hopefully I will have a second positive birth story to tell in a few months.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I had a midwife for my first delivery and a family doctor for the second and third and now for my fourth I am going through and actual ob. I prefer the family doctor. Someone that I can be familiar with outside of being pregnant. They are usually a little more hands off.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My friend had a midwife for her first and she loved it! :)

For my first I dont even know what the dr was, I assume ob...I wouldn't change it b/c it was free. With this one I have a family dr who I adore! :-D
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 5:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• No one "delivered" my babies. I birthed them.

The first I birthed in hospital with an OB who was determined to "punish" and "teach a lesson' to me- so she cut me without any anesthesia, without consent, and stitched me up, after a 4th degree tear- because of the UNNECESSARY cut, without anesthesia. Labored at home, was in hospital for less then 20 minutes when she was born.

The second, birthed in hospital with a CNM. Was a much more pleasant experience, but I hated hospital 'policies" (which, by the way, they can NOT force you to adhere to- it is illegal for them to do ANYTHING you do not consent to). Was in the hospital maybe 2 hours before he was born.

The 3rd, birth at a free standing birthcenter with a CMW. It was absolutely ideal, excrept that I was exhausted, had been in labor for almost 8 days, my now ex didn't believe I was in labor, so i almost had him in the car. He was a water birth.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Oh, and both deliveries will at hospitals (the same one).
    FatGirl239

• I delivered both times with a midwife, in a hospital (both inductions). I am high risk and saw an ob, a high risk ob, my midwife, a hematologist, and a cardiologist during my pregnancy. They all worked together, and in the end, my midwife was with me both times. She was awesome!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i am using the same ob i had when i was pregnant with my first....i just personally feel more comfortable with an ob
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Two at Air Force base hospitals, one at a civilian hospital. The babies and I came through it well and we were all healthy and that's all that s important,IMO.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Family doctor for the second, I was going to an OB for the 1st but she was on vacation when I delivered, so I don't know who he was who delivered.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011